Interior Cuts and Perimeter Cuts

That always drives me nuts, whether I still have the design or not! :confounded:

2 Likes

One big area of issue where this is really important, is flashback damage. It happens on almost all materials, but its most noticeable on acrylic since you can see through it. If you are wanting to go into business making professional looking pieces with acrylic or anything else, you dont want flashback damage on them.

The reason that it is so important with flashback is that in order to prevent the damage, many people use beds with the least amount of surface area contact. e.g. pin beds, blade beds, etc. The great part about these is that the remove almost all the damage from flashback, but you HAVE to have your cut order sorted from inside to outside because the pieces fall as soon as theyre cut out. Cut the outside first, and youll have none of your inner cuts done.

21 Likes

BTW, from a little unfortunate experience: if you’re making things that have dimensions comparable to the gaps in your honeycomb/whatever, either include tiny tabs or have an extraction strategy ready.

6 Likes

If we have paper or tape on the back of the acrylic, will we still have flashback problems?

Good advice !

22 Likes

Yeah. Paper makes it worse sometimes, as it burns and warps it more

1 Like

Oh that is awful! I hope they fished them out! :joy:

4 Likes

So I don’t ruin @Jules week… yes they did :sweat_smile:

21 Likes

Whew! Thanks! :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

(And here I was thinking that this was the explanation for the origin of predatory Sewer Ducks with a taste for human flesh. Not that I’ve ever been bitten by a duck.)

10 Likes

Pretty good point. Even with wood there are many things that I could laser without masking but the back flashback from the honey comb really messes with it.

Edit: if I don’t adjust cutting to just make it through and get a good balance on speed and power.

5 Likes

Much less so, although if you run too slowly, you’ll get enough to burn through the paper.

9 Likes