International Info E-mails

I was thinking that also. With all the power supply issues there was no way they could get certification in any country (outside of the US).

I mean as much as I loathe the whole bunch bc of their constant delays and absurd amount of “irregularities” im sure they knew about those… they are just using that as an excuse now…

How about I get a Tony’s donair instead? :stuck_out_tongue: still some of the best in the city. And enough food to last for at least 3 meals haha

1 Like

well to be honest … its you that’s been replying to my rants… so … if you don’t like what i post… i guess you have 2 options.

i can understand interest in being mad. Sometimes you just need/want to deal your own way.

So what is the earliest International shipment? Did anyone note?

Just wondering how long GF have to sort out issues such as International Tube Replacement…

ja they could easily do that but then they would loose money. I see that all decisions they make are business decisions based on future profits. They just needed us to get their investments. They have enough money I guess. Now by selling us a machine they would make less profit of one machine as they would when they are selling it in the future at a normal price. Thats because they are so easy on reimburshments. I think that would be a good article for business insider.

While you’re here, you could hook up with one of us to play with one in real life. Let the family play with it too :smiling_face:

1 Like

@dan actually said that’s incorrect yesterday in response to another post asserting the same thing. I believe it’s in the big blowback thread. He has not said that they’ve completed any international shipment regulation preparations though.

He also mentioned that Canada and Mexico we’re among the hardest countries to ship to which many thought was counter-intuitive.

It looks very much like they started them only recently as they suddenly dropped some countries and removed “soon” from the banner. Either that of they failed certification and need to do a design iteration. The new timescales do look they are starting from scratch.

Dan said they started CE back in December but it doesn’t take that long.

Normally you decide your target markets at the beginning, research which standards you need to meet and collate the most onerous requiremets. Then you design to meet those and do pre-compliance testing to be confident you will pass. Then you do the compliance work before pre-production, not after producing for five months. You simply can’t do that in Europe because you can’t sell electrical appliances without CE. It seems GF are selling domestically without UL.

If it helps any understanding, alot of the Canadian certifications are more stringent then the USA, especially for electronics and even more so for medical and military grade electronics.

1 Like

Not an expert but I think UL is not legally required in the North America but companies get certified because it shows the equipment passed a third party evaluation. Its not a matter of how long it takes. It’s what UL reviews to ensure the product is safe. The more complicated the product is, the long it probably would take to get UL. Most big companies will not but equipment that is not UL. As a consumer, especially a laser, it more important that my machine is safe provided I follow the guidelines I’m not as familiar with CE but I’m sure it’s similar process for our overseas friends.

The last I heard GF don’t have UL and that is a problem for companies. You can elect to wait for NTRL certification when you get the email.

CE is different in that you can’t sell products in Europe without it. You can self certify, you don’t absolutely need independent test results, but in practice for a product like this you would.

I really hope they get UL. I can’t speak for Glowforge but UL can take a long time depending on what the equipment is. CE - not surprised it’s mandatory. The EU is more strict on safety and environment directives. The fact that Internationals are getting dates means they are almost there.

1 Like

It is not a legal requirement to sell products in the US.

However, it is a legal requirement in most jurisdictions that any appliance (Glowforge included) that is used in a commercial or government facility (including schools) has been certified by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).

As it stands right now, in most locations, a Glowforge may likely not be able to be used in any place of business or school.

Specifically speaking from a Federal level, 29 CFR 1910.303(a) requires it. Many state and local zoning laws and building and fire codes also require it, as well.

1 Like

Mexico. My shipping date is Mach 2, one day after my birthday, I hope to get my present on time.

3 Likes

Remember that’s the date you are scheduled to receive your shipping request notification. Delivery can still be 6 weeks (but could be faster) later.

Norway :norway: here: ordered 12th october 2015, basic,scheduled email: 16th February2018
AirFilter: May 2018

What can I say, very disappointed but now optimistically resigned to wait, hoping that all teething problems are resolved by then as I do not fancy having to pay transportation for a warranty issue after a couple of weeks or months. I hope we have a good test routine in place by next year, so we internationals can find out in the first couple of days if there are any issues. To find out whether it is half dead on arrival…

1 Like

I’m from Italy.
Order placed 3 hours before crowdfunding campaign ended ( october 23rd ).
My GF should be shipped on march 8

2 Likes

Moved forward in the queue.

I was (Basic to Oz) on 28th March = > 1st March and now 28th February

7 Likes