International shipping... arrival... receiving the much expected mail... don't know how to call this

In the update @dan stated that the shipping is fully insured and that such damage would be fixed by sending a new unit.

1 Like

BTDT (It was just a simple bathroom renovation, until we discovered that the tub valves were actually made in europe, and from a stainless-steel alloy that contained just a tiny smidgen of lead for easier machining. Several months laterā€¦)

Ha, when I was kid growing up the UK the cold water pipes were made from solid lead.

2 Likes

Were they all on the outside of the buildings? I used to be kinda freaked out by that when I visited relatives, since here itā€™s hard enough to keep water from freezing in pipes even inside a building.

No they entered underground and went up the inside walls. The only pipes outside are drain pipes. If you leave a tap running it can freeze up the drain pipe in winter but the pipes inside are fine unless you turn the heating off.

Aha. I hadnā€™t thought the gulf stream was quite that powerful. For us, itā€™s the opposite: in really cold weather (and other special circumstances) you leave a tap running, because running water is less likely to freeze.

Yes it rarely freezes or snows here nowadays. In my adult life there have only been two years where the snow was enough to stop me driving to work. 2010 and 2011 IIRC.

Ours came up from the ground outside before entering the kitchen. I have a vivid memory of the plumber soldering it after it had frozen. My dad lagged it and built a box around it after that. Brings back a lot of memoriesā€¦rationing, pea soupers, liberty bodices etc. Probably accounts for my appallingly bad short term memory.

2 Likes

Er, yes we are!

Thank you!!! Have a nice day! :grinning:

they still are in places. the whole ongoing flint water crisis in michigan is caused because flint switched to a cheaper. more acidic water source for the city, which corroded old lead pipes and put lead into the water.

our house is fairly old, and has a bit of lead piping in the basement, but itā€™s disconnected and unused.

2 Likes

Back to topic, help out by filling the sheet:

Every time I look at it there are half a dozen people editing it and it looks totally different. Seems like anarchy. How are conflicting changes handled by Google Docs?

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t even begin to know how to respond to thatā€¦

7 Likes

I knew, so I just kept on walking. :wink:

7 Likes

Amen to that

5 Likes

I must have missed that.

@dan Could you (Glowforge) make a forum post perhaps with a list of countries where you could cross out the countries which are ā€œclearedā€ for shipping? That way we could see the progress, I would also like the list to be the same list as you are prioritizing countries but Iā€™m sure itā€™s not that cut and dry. And it would probably piss of the countries at the bottom :laughing:

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! Weā€™re not shipping internationally at all right now - Iā€™ll see about how we communicate when we do. Note that weā€™re working on countries in parallel, and many of them are the same (like most of the EU), so thereā€™s not a simple ordered ā€œto doā€ list.

3 Likes

UK is scheduled to leave EU on Friday, 29 March 2019

1 Like