Introducing Rita, Glowforge's Head of Customer Success

Congratulations!

1 Like

Welcome… My first question is, Why is the GF equipped with a sealed laser and not a water cooled?

It is water cooled. Just a sealed system inside the unit, with a very small internal reservoir, and circulating water pump.

edit: Not 100% water, but some liquid that hasn’t been revealed.

6 Likes

It is water(?) cooled, it’s just a closed self contained system. There is a heat exchanger that is cooled by the exhaust airflow. The exact nature of the coolant hasn’t been revealed.
One of the innovations that sets the 'forge apart. No separate bucket of water and pump to dance with, which makes it that much more portable and user friendly.

Because of that, the machine’s duty cycle is affected by the ambient temperature the laser operates in.

4 Likes

Funny that we typed the words “hasn’t been revealed” at the exact same time.

4 Likes

I was beaten too this while looking for @dan’s “haiku”.

Awww, the quote didn’t separate out the lines.

6 Likes

Glowforge is cooled by pure liquid magic!

9 Likes

@mr_jene55, thanks for asking. As noted, it is in fact liquid cooled. “Sealed” indicates that, unlike some lasers, you don’t need an external refrigeration unit (or bucket of ice water). It takes care of its own cooling.

7 Likes

The blood of unicorns, probably.

7 Likes

Maybe it’s Cool Aid… :sunglasses:

8 Likes

OH YEAH!

Probably Berry Blue–it’s the koolest flavor.

5 Likes

Yours is much more polite than what I was thinking from unicorns!:+1:

8 Likes

:astonished::flushed:
I can only imagine…:wink:

3 Likes

The coolant is very likely something like this (which just happens to be BLUE :smiley:)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14160/ex-liq-190/EK_EKoolant_Premium_Liquid_Cooling_Premix_Coolant_-1L-_UV_Blue.html

DD

1 Like

Can’t resist. Here is said pink unicorn. A good Glowforge project.

9 Likes

This fact alone makes it worth the price of admission. And the wait. :slight_smile:

Hi Rita, and welcome!

I do technical support for a 3D printer company and if you would like to pick my brain, please feel free!

Welcome, Rita!
Rita to the rescue!:slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the party @Rita

1 Like

Hi, @Rita!!!

:slight_smile: I think I got to meet you at Maker Faire. Thank you in advance! :smiley:

1 Like