Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)

@bonny

What the? “Not enough snap marks” ?

Just now got around to trying Snapmark…using Affinity Designer for Mac. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, but I don’t know what it is. Wasted some draft board being overly optimistic about the outcome, so switched to cardboard. Same message both times. I altered the size of the cut-outs for the pencils, as mine wouldn’t fit the template provided…but other than that, I didn’t touch the snap marks in the template. Last ditch, I even reloaded the original snap mark template, copied and pasted it into my pencil file and same message.

• Snapmarks should be parallel to each other and no more than 16” apart (at least 2” inside the perimeter of the printable area).

which seems to be a bit conflicting when reading the next sentence;

You can move the pair of Snapmark markers closer or further apart, and up or down, so they fit around your artwork.

So…which is it…move them or don’t move them ? ( I know not to resize the snap marks in any way)

When it gave me the error message, I moved the file over the top of the actual material and that didn’t seem to make any difference.

Help!

2 Likes

I’ve gotten “not enough” a few times, should read “I failed to find enough”.

4 Likes

I believe they want the marks in the same horizontal plane. Though I have had successful alignment with one of the marks an inch or more higher than the other. Of course following their guidance makes success more likely.

2 Likes

You will note that 16" apart is the same thing as 2" from each edge, since we have a 20" printing width limitation.

Staying off the edges is important for letting the lid camera actually see the image, and for getting the head camera in position. I have had a few times where I put my jig in with the snapmark off the printable area, and wished that I left a bit more margin on them ><

2 Likes

I just got my machine enabled today, and I tried it out.

Works great! I got sub-mm accuracy over an 8.5x11" sheet of card-stock… which is much better than I was able to do previously by eye.

2 Likes

Ah…

I didn’t think of it that way. Makes perfect sense to me now. Thank you.

I get it…thank you.

I remember reading somewhere that you can have them vertically. They just can’t be perfectly aligned. The top snapmark has to be to the left of the lower one. I don’t have snapmark so I can’t confirm.

2 Likes

Can you “snap” the original file, even though the pencils don’t fit? I suspect Affinity Designer is altering the SVG in some way that confuses the algorithm.

2 Likes

I don’t know. I can give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

@bonny

and, @chris1; I put the very first jig back onto the bed…the one I cut before I realized my pencils wouldn’t fit…so this jig template came directly from the Snapmark instruction page…and was printed, unaltered. To try your suggestion, I just finished trying to ‘snap’ the original file to the jig on the bed. Even took masking off the draft board and put a piece of white paper underneath to help visually. Didn’t work at all…got the same error message.

Do you think the magnets could be confusing it? They’re kind of distinct objects with the same sort of spacing…

1 Like

@Xabbess - I’m going to run a couple of quick retests and possibly send you a Private Message with a set of AD Snapmarks in it that worked for me before. If you would try them and see if they work for you, it might help them to track down the problem and I can send them to @bonny in a separate message.

(We’ve got storming here right now so it might take a little bit to retest. Oh yeah…might take a while…it’s really coming down.)

2 Likes

Just hold an umbrella over the :glowforge: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m afraid of lightning strikes. KaBoom!!! Fzzzt! :worried:

2 Likes

A thought, for sure. I’ll take them out and try it again.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you. I’ll have to give this a try. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Took the magnets out…same outcome. Trying a jig that Jules shared with me and will report back on that.

2 Likes

@bonny I’m just starting to test Snapmarks myself and I’m getting the exact same thing that @Xabbess is getting. I’m doing my tests on Hardboard, so it is starting off as a dark brown color. I can get the initial jig made, but when I take it out, move it, put it back, add the pencils I only get the error for not enough snapmarks. Of course, I can’t go back over the jig and make the snapmarks darker, everything is moved and the snapmarks won’t register.

Any idea what I (and @Xabbess) can do to get our snapmarks to work?

I haven’t gotten this to work correctly yet for me.

1 Like

What design software are you using? (Specific version number.)

1 Like