Is Glowforge a con?

It is no con. It will become your best friend.

Slow coming? Yes.
Is it a con? No.
Was playing around yesterday and just for fun, I made an escutcheon that gives good advice here.

panic-2

26 Likes

Patience and trust were the price we all paid to effectively take advantage of a unique opportunity to obtain a great piece of hardware for much less than typical costs. I’d wager that very few here are sorry, but as stated, you did agree to the terms and can cancel at any time.

3 Likes

Yes! All the angst of that 2 year wait vanished within minutes of pushing that button the first time. New horizons! Then, the price doubled… Wow!
Sometimes I’m so lucky, it still puts a smile on my face every time I look at that machine.

7 Likes

I bought mine almost two and a half year ago, and it might (partially) arrive in June, or not. So, yes me too I have already imagined that the product and this whole forum is fake, everything written by Dan from his private paradise island. :slight_smile:
I try not to go into the forum too much and try to forget about Laser technology in general by staying at home and avoiding the internet so I won’t see any cool stuff produced with laser. With extremely patient regards from Europe :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not at all I have been working with Glowforge from close to the start and followed everything. Had a great prerelease unit. Met @dan and the crew at Maker Faire in San Mateo. They are shipping thousands by now. In love with my forever forge.

It’s a question that has been asked though usually folks say scam.

It seems that the consensus is that it isn’t a scam or con. It’s a real company that has a bunch of people working to make this a reality. The delays have been rough for everyone. Look at the posts in Made on a Glowforge and you will see some great evidence of the reality.

5 Likes

There are no underhanded tactics and there has been no lying to anyone.

You failed to set your expectations appropriately and your disappointment is largely of your own creation.

That’s OK, btw. I’m actually much more sympathetic than my words indicate.

If you aren’t happy, get a refund and move on.

Not true. 0.5" focus range is a lie.

I don’t have the same neuro-chemicals as most people, so I don’t get an emotional reward for venting. For that matter it escapes me why some folks are thrill seekers. Why would I intentionally try to scare myself? Still, most folks are different and just because it doesn’t work for me doesn’t mean others are wrong.

I have been reading a little to understand. Found this interesting. https://www.daveursillo.com/the-folly-of-venting-in-public/

14 Likes

If it’s a con, a few thousand of us are in on it. I’m still waiting for my cut of the take…

5 Likes

If want a machine quickly, get a $400 one. If you want a GREAT machine, hang in there @garynobles. You will be AMAZED!! AND, it will only get MORE AMAZING, as the software evolves.

P.S Buying a cheap machine is a good way to experiment with all your engraving and cutting files. So, order one of those and experiment while you wait!

1 Like

What do you mean “if”?

The thousands of us who are in on it are expecting to divvy up the proceeds and buy cookies!

‘Course almost all of us are teenage boys with bad skin living in our parents’ basement and pretending to be hundreds and thousands of other people posting pretty Photoshopped “pictures” of the cool things you can do with lasers so we can lead someone on for a couple of years before we all laugh uproariously and take the money & run.

Too bad the OP hasn’t spent more time on the forum so he could understand the true awesomeness of the scam we’re perpetrating. :sunglasses::rofl: It ain’t easy pretending to be 100 other people.

4 Likes

Forget cookies! I WANT MY CAKE! :cake:

3 Likes

Blasphemy! I have no idea what you are referring to!

16 Likes

So if I’m off & running with a new small biz because of the GF, does that mean I’m running a con too? Cuz if so, Godzilla & I we’re conning it up in the garage for about 16 hours this weekend.

4 Likes

I would be more than happy to buy you out of your contract, at the price you paid for it. You will be made whole, and can stop even thinking about a Glowforge. And me? I will get TWO Glowforges at the Kickstarter price.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!

8 Likes

Heck, I bet some people would buy it for a slightly higher price, say, the price of the GF plus the materials/all added bonuses (plus maybe a bit of interest for good faith). It’d still be a lot cheaper than they are now…

2 Likes

That’s what a good long con would do. Keeps the rest of the suckers in the game waiting because after all they can get their money back or sell it because others have.

(shhh…they don’t realize it’s just a small price to keep the con going - Kind of like Bernie Madoff :sunglasses::zipper_mouth_face:)

2 Likes

Shhhhh! You’re going to scare off the mark!

5 Likes