Is hot melt glue safe to cut?

I have a project idea which involves cutting veneer wood strips with a hot melt glue backing. I’m assuming that hot melt glue means standard glue gun stick glue…

Is it safe to cut hot glue? Any advice on specific types of glue known to be good or bad?

As with all things you aren’t sure of, you should try to get an MSDS from the manufacturer. I wouldn’t go on generic advice from anyone in the forum, you don’t know for sure that that person will have looked at the exact same material that you’re looking at.

Search the forum for MSDS for much discussion about how to read them.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=MSDS

And lastly: Your lungs, your risk. Whatever advice anyone gives you it comes down to your specific risk tolerance, your ventilation setup, and your health.

3 Likes

Hot glue is usually made of EVA (ethylene-vinyl acetate) mixed with various hydrocarbons. The decomposition products are carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and water vapor. Most brands should be perfectly safe to cut.

But always check the MSDS for the particular brand of glue you’re using to make sure they didn’t put anything weird in there. (But given the nature of hot glue I’d be surprised to see anything with particularly dangerous thermal decomposition products.)

5 Likes

I use a hot glue machine for my puzzles. I’m still alive - with relatively minimal cognitive issues.

6 Likes

Hmm. I feel like I answered this recently. I use a hot glue machine for my puzzles. I’m still alive - with relatively minimal cognitive issues.

11 Likes

To me Jb’s answer good looks, clearly issues not any with the glue. (I cut glue too.)

3 Likes

Fame. fortune, excitement. The lasergeek craves not these things.

4 Likes

hahaha

Haha. Just curious, what hot glue machine do you use? I’m in the market for one.

I use this and have been very happy with it. And a box of glue lasts forever.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.