Is it bad for the laser to cut nothing for half of a job?

I used proof grade draftboard to cut out a design, but it only cut all the way through on about half the lines… so not all the design could be punched out.

I want to make another pass, but I am wondering:

1. is it bad for the laser to be directed to cut something that is half gone? As in, some times the material is missing, so its just firing straight through to the bed, while the other half of the time its cutting on the draft board…

2. I’ve only had the laser for 2 months, and used it for roughly 5 hours… I am surprised its not cutting cleaning through proof material. is that normal? I am planning to clean it today. So hopefully that resolves it.

Thanks!!

Welcome @ross.bernet to the forum. Is this your own design using custom settings or using default?

You can repeat the job without moving the material using different settings to finish the cut all the way through. It is no problem to have the beam interact with the crumb tray.

One issue with some parts of a design not cutting is if the material somehow warps and that changes the focus point.

Cleaning might be good, especially if the side windows in the beam path have a fingerprint or smudge on them.

Flat, level material is really important since we are talking about very small deviations in focal point.

One way to test is to put a fresh sheet of draftboard in the machine and cut the Gift of Good Measure with the default settings. Make sure that the crumb tray is firmly seated in the dimples and doesn’t affect the height of material. Post some pics of the results. That will give a baseline for support to look at your logs and us to help diagnose.

7 Likes

Thank you for letting us know about this. I’m sorry that your print didn’t come out beautifully!

Did you have a chance to try the advice which @marmak3261 suggested and then run a test print with the Gift of Good Measure? If so, how did the test go?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.