Is temperature too high

I am working in a garage in Florida where the temperature in the garage is 84 degrees. I am trying to print the Founder’s ruler. I get about 30 to 60 seconds of engraving before it has to cool down. I have cancelled the cooling after 10 minutes or so and restarted twice without luck . What can i do other than move the unit inside?

The recommended operating environment is here:

https://glowforge.com/support/topic/safety/operating-environment

60-75 Basic
60-81 Pro

Other users have come up with makeshift enclosures with cooling, but if you go that route you’ll need to make sure you can deliver 200-250 CFM of fresh cool air.

I think the official recommendation would be to move it indoors.

4 Likes

I live in Central Florida and I moved my GF inside. You’ve missed your couple of days window for working in the garage with your GF this year already :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Other than bringing it inside, your options are pretty limited. @neonkuku built a clever… Something to help direct cool air to his glowforge:
https://community.glowforge.com/t/stupid-but-works-for-alert-cooling/19115

But I don’t imagine air conditioning a garage in Florida is super appealing.

That is how I got the small workshop. Put wall//window where the garage door use to be and added double sliding doors to the side for large projects.
It is has two vents to it, but never fully open them. Just cracked about 1/3 keeps the shop cool enough and one of the vents blows down onto the forge.
Anyway, it is never really as cool like the house proper, but cool enough to work in (80 or less) and the noise does not keep the house awake when making stuff at 3 AM.

My back shop is more of a Florida Room and is too large (16x35) to consider A/C. I just have 3 ceiling fans and open the windows on shady side. Not good for bOb though. Gets a bit sticky out there when the Sun is doing it’s thing, as it is starting to do.

As mentioned @kendall.didsbury , you probably want to look to moving it inside somewhere, OR → frame and enclose a small room (large closet) on one end of the garage that can be kept cool with a vent extension or one-off unit.

1 Like

Thanks @markwal, that’s right!

The Glowforge Basic printer has a closed-loop liquid cooling system that uses the air from the room to remove heat. It’s perfect for personal home use. The Glowforge Pro printer features a solid-state thermoelectric cooler that enhances the liquid cooling system of the basic. This allows for heavier continuous use and higher ambient temperatures than the Basic.

The Glowforge Basic is designed for use between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 75°F (24°C). The Pro has an expanded operating range up to 81°F (27°C).

If you plan to use your Glowforge often in warm environments, you may prefer to bring it and vent to the outside.