Is this okay to do - using the outline of a GF in a logo

Glyfik in a GF
Is this breaking any rules? If not, I am considering using it as a business logo.

2 Likes

I’m sure they won’t mind. It’s advertising for them.

Why not put the actual logo graphic on there as well?
Glowforge logo bug only black & white.svg.zip (1.9 KB)

1 Like

If I put the logo graphic on there, won’t it seem like I could be an extension of GlowForge? As far as I know, anything which could confuse the audience to make it seem like you represent GlowForge is a no no.

1 Like

If you want an official answer, you should either email, or post in Problems and support.

People who service Fords have Ford logos on their business cards and such. I don’t think anyone gets confused…

3 Likes

That’s a good point. Thanks! I guess I may use it for now and update later if needed.

Glyfik in a GF

I’ve added the GlowForge logo

2 Likes

This official guide might be helpful.

4 Likes

I read that guide before posting. It talks about how the logo and trademarked terms may be used but does not explicitly say the outline of a glowforge would be inappropriate to place in a logo. I thought I might as well check on the forums to see what others thought.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Is it open to some interpretation?

I’m pretty sure you can’t use the Glowforge logo as part of your own logo.

I’m not sure about using the shape of the machine; it’s not really something I’d consider doing, though. I can’t articulate why, really; it just doesn’t feel right to me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thanks for your input!!!

1 Like

Glyfik made by a laser

Not that this looks great, but something of this sort would work better, right?

2 Likes

You can’t. It’s trademarked.

Nor do you want to. Your logo should be recognizable as you and not suggest another brand. Moreover, what if you outgrow your GF in a few months and want a different laser?

5 Likes

or this:
Glyfik made by a laser 2

3 Likes

It’s going somewhere … but … back to the drawing board!

i’m sure they would mind. it would diminish their trademark and/or make that implication you’re associated with them.

4 Likes

I disagree. This is simply including the product you are using to provide a specific service.

“The use of a brand’s trademarks can qualify as noninfringing if competent independent or authorized parties use it to offer their services, provided it isn’t suggestive of being an endorsement or recommendation.”

Nobody thinks the independent auto service shop down the street is endorsed by the manufacturers whos logos are on their signs or business cards.

1 Like

i’m guessing there are a couple of things going on here.

but most importantly, even if they add the logo to their card, they’re not incorporating the logo into their logo. that’s different.

3 Likes

it’s also possible (and i don’t know this is true, just speculating) that to display the logo they would have to be an “authorized” repair center. the auto manufacturers would most definitely have the right to tell them to cease and desist using their logo for advertisements.

my company is particularly careful about not using client logos in our marketing without their permission.

2 Likes

all that said, if GF says it’s ok, then it’s ok. i would ask before doing it.

1 Like

Oh sorry, didn’t know you had already seen it. :slight_smile: I really don’t have any insight as to the legality of it, but I kinda agree with @ChristyM that personally I wouldn’t want something that suggests another brand. (Mainly because I’d hate to outgrow it and have to reinvent my logo/brand.) That being said, I really like this one!

4 Likes