ISO handyman

I’m coming to you wonderful list of friends for urgent SOS.
The exhaust fan for my laser venting on my 20 foot plus roof building has seized up. The 3 maintenance guys for the property are all busy for up to a week and I’m not sure who else I should call LOL. For all you handymans out there, do you think this would be an issue that could be tackled by a generic handyman? Or should I start looking for HVAC people? I know it’s silly I should know this, but I’m frazzled after coming back from a convention and I have loads of work to do and need this fixed ASAP.

I’m sure if I could find a tall enough ladder I could get up there and do it myself LOL so I’m hoping a generic handyman will be able to

4 Likes

I’d call an HVAC company. It’ll cost more than a handyman for sure, but it’s definitely up their alley, and if they know sorta what they’re getting in to first they will probably bring the right kind of replacement fan.

…alternatively, post on Nextdoor. Someone will have a recommendation for a handyman they’ve used in the past – I’ve had good luck with this route.

5 Likes

If you’re in a hurry, go the HVAC route. (If a local well intentioned handyman doesn’t have what’s needed, it will take longer in the long run.)

Sorry to hear that. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Just to be sure… I don’t know how you’re powering it, but if it seized up, are you 100% sure it hasn’t lost power? Like a circuit breaker or GFCI outlet somewhere that can be reset and you’re back in business?

Sometimes it’s just that easy… maybe not but worth looking to be certain.

6 Likes

Oh dear…so sorry for your woes. I hate when something doesn’t work as it should. Hope you get some help very soon.

1 Like

Oh noes! I hope you can get it fixed and up and running soon.

1 Like

Nope, the power is good, I can hear the motor, but the fan doesn’t spin so I’m thinking it’s either something stuck in the fan or the belt broke…I’m leaning towards a blockage since it actually tripped the circuit. I just hope I didn’t seize the motor.

I can buy a new fan for around $50 so it’s probably cheaper to replace than fix LOL

2 Likes

Got an HVAC guy coming out at 8 in the morning. $115 an hour hopefully it’s just something stuck in the fan and he can pull it out LOL

7 Likes

Fingers crossed for you!

How long has that thing been in service? Got a link for the same fan? $50 sounds cheap. Since it’s a business expense, if it has to be replaced I would go with something rated for continuous duty. I spent $180 for a 6" Fantec that’s been running continuously for coming up on 20 years.
I would think any competent handyman with light electrical skills could handle swapping out a fan.

Being that you are quite crafty, perhaps you could barter with the guy for signage or… maybe a signed copy of your Sports Illustrated “swimsuit” models :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It came, used, with my original laser, back 18 years ago. I’ve been using it for the past 12 or so. Probably will spend more on a good one…lol

4 Likes

If it’s been 18 years, might be time. (I once got stuck replacing the exhaust fan for a building air stack, the kind with a big aluminum hat on top – labor was not so much but the damn thing itself was $200 or so.)

2 Likes

Lol, I know…I definitely got my money’s worth out of it… not really complaining that it broke down. It just HAD to happen right after a convention where I have a butt ton of orders to get out LOL

5 Likes

Well, I’m glad you’ve got a butt ton of orders, anyway.

6 Likes

I’m glad you had a button of orders too. :wink:

5 Likes

Here’s the update the guy that the property manager suggested came out this morning at 8 which I had to meet him here and we normally open at 9:30 so that was one crappy thing LOL then he comes to my door saying the ladder was too short and couldn’t do it at all anyway even though I was very specific about how tall the building was. My second choice and electrician, came out around noon and said we can probably do it with a 24-foot ladder. guys came out about 20 minutes later and one of them went up even though the ladder was probably too short LOL. so he went and bought a bigger ladder. thankfully I hired an electrician because they found out that the wiring was rotted and are looking to fix that and if it’s the motor they can actually pull the motor out and replace that for a lot less than a new blower

5 Likes

$400 repair at this point…but that includes 2 hours of labor going up and down and installation on the roof. Good thing I made money at the show…otherwise it would be out of pocket…lol.

5 Likes

The only thing to like about all this convolution is that it sounds like you’re on the road to recovery. Certainly getting expensive, though. Pretty important fix, though. Good luck!

2 Likes

Oh ouch! Jeez, nothing is cheap these days. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

I hear talk still is.

6 Likes