It’s a box stand

Ok, this isn’t going to change the world, but my friend had a cardboard stand that holds a puzzle box top up (apparently they’ve been doing a lot of puzzles during the pandemic) and the cardboard stand is crumpling. So he asked me if I could do an acrylic version of it. Given the difficulty in getting more proofgrade acrylic right now, I had to use what I had around; I didn’t want to use up any clear since I use that in many hospital projects, so I had a sheet of orange 1/8” :proofgrade: yes the party box isn’t a puzzle box, but it was a test lid I saw nearby. He was concerned that unlike the cardboard one the slot on mine isn’t angled that the box would fall out (how many g’s is he pulling in his dining room?). I made it much smaller than the cardboard one so that the entire cut file fit on one sheet , and figured the acrylic weighs so much more than cardboard it would work fine even if 1/2 the size… plus I put a crossbar in the bottom to allow a weight to be placed inside. I will post in free designs in a moment (on my iPad)

30 Likes

Note here is the link to the files:

3 Likes

Glad you got to relax a little and design something fun!

1 Like

It’s amazing, how once you get familiar with your tools you can crank stuff out. I went from initial text from my friend to completed project in under an hour (and I was watching TV while doing it). At this point CAD is akin to using a word processor, especially for laser stuff. Still struggle with CAM (but that’s more because my machining knowledge is low not because the software is hard, like I sit for 5 minutes thinking about should I face that before drilling or after?)

5 Likes

Nice! We always put the lid on just on the one side of the bottom, then it stood on it’s own. Still … it is a bright addition to puzzle time.

I didn’t say this seemed like a thing one needed. Seems a bit silly since again assuming you are here in 1g the box should just sit there…

2 Likes

We did this too…also a pop can (or whatever you have on hand) that hasn’t been opened (thus weighted) and not cold (condensation transferred to box) works great…but this way they now have one for said purpose. Good friend!

1 Like

I’m looking at it and not understanding how it works lol

The box (seen in second photo above) slides into that slot, That stabilizes it. and lifts it a couple of inches.