It was certainly a "Maker" holiday this year!

Esp if you change bits ( or have to change shank sizes). No more little wrench and post. I’ve been making my “H2O” ornaments and soooo much easier switching out the grinder/cutter bits in literally a matter of 2-3 seconds.

2 Likes

I’ve had my eye on the Shaper/Router Table for a while now, to round off (or otherwise shape) edges of pieces in ways the GF may not be able to (think 45 degree angles, or bull-nosed edges - I know the GF team is working on grayscale-precise edge shaping, but a simple router w/table might be the better tool for the job). Unfortunately, my dremel version doesn’t fit the router table. My version is one of the ergonomic “gun” shaped ones, so I’d need to buy a second dremel to fit the router table. Thinking I would mostly use it w/GF’d items, I jut haven’t been able to justify to myself buying another toy until the GF arrives.

1 Like

I have the hand-tighten collet and stopped using it, didn’t seem to work very well. I must have been doing something wrong.

My wife got me one of these for Christmas.

http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/routers-planers-and-joiners/planers-and-joiners/1212-thickness-planer-with-three-knife-cutterhead/dw734

One of the greatest gifts i have ever received. For some back story, I have been look for used planers on craigslist for about a year and doing tons of research.

Apparently my wife was paying attention and decided to just buy me a brand-new one! :smiley:

10 Likes

Awesome gift! (So many great maker gifts this year.) :smile:

My family got me a laser. :grin:

5 Likes

I have had the multi-purpose cutting kit, the flex-shaft, and the hand-tighten collet for my multi-pro 395 for a while. This year my sister added a cordless Micro 8050 to my collection… cordless is wonderful.
My parents gave me the 15-project (beginner) Arduino Starter Kit, and I cannot wait to start playing with it!

8 Likes

I’ve had the corded one, flex shaft, the drill press, a couple of disposables, and picked up the Micro 8050 back in June. I wonder if the table and plunge router will work with the Micro, cause i love that one…it’s so easy to handle compared to the others if you’ve got little hands, and you don’t have to drag the cord all over the place.
(Corded one is heavy.)

Hey, if you guys do get that adjustable collet, a fabulous (and inexpensive) addition for grinding is a couple sets of diamond burr bits/grinders (Amazon) - I’ve just about worn mine down taking off spurs left behind by support on 3D prints.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-82331TF-30-Piece-Titanium-Coated-Diamond/dp/B000P49BX8/ref=pd_sbs_469_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000P49BX8&pd_rd_r=SSN5S48H2AFT70GE8AB7&pd_rd_w=v36GH&pd_rd_wg=2FA2B&psc=1&refRID=SSN5S48H2AFT70GE8AB7

(And somebody remind me later to work up and share that 3D printed bit stand for the laser…it’s so handy. Probably won’t need quite that many holes.)

10 Likes

I’m pretty sure this wasn’t an option when I got my first Dremel. And most of my uses for it don’t involve many bit changes during a single project. But I’ll definitely pick one up.

After your comment about me being sharp, I kind of feel like I need to make a joke about at least my knives are sharp now that I have my B#.

6 Likes

Did you find that version better to work with (accuracy, control, vibration)?

So, I was at the dentist last week getting a filling and all I could think was how jealous I was of the kit of rotary tool bits he had.

14 Likes

Actually, it was a gift, so I didn’t choose it at all, but I’m very happy with it.

Oooh, what is the part number on that? I hate that everything goes by a number and not a description

You have a REALLY cool wife!

4 Likes

I do indeed!

2 Likes

On the less expensive diamond bits the diamond is nickle plated onto the base metal. As long as you run them cool, they will last practically as long as the expensive ones where the grit is soldered on. Get them hot and you will wipe the grit right off.
When I need to lean on one for a while, I run them wet. A steady drip of water (which also flushes the cut and the tool) and mine have lasted years.

6 Likes

Are you using them on wood too? (I’ve only used mine on plastic, and that really gums them up if you run them too hot…so i take it slowly.)

1 Like

Mostly stone.

1 Like

Makes sense…I’m afraid they might bind on wood, but we’ll see once we get a little closer.

edit: (nope, works okay, just have to ago a little slow to prevent kick-back)

2 Likes

Glass as well - make sure you use water to keep it cool and they last a lot longer.

1 Like

Ask and he may give you the used ones, which may still have some life in them.

3 Likes