Jack O' Lantern Leaf

Even the leaves can be festive!
Started with 20lb paper setting, ended up with 45 power. Depending on the leaf you’ll still have to cut through the thicker veins.

56 Likes

that’s a great idea.

12 Likes

Oh man there’s a halloween contest on the discord server for $125 proofgrade credits, you should totally enter those! That’s so great.

More info on the contest:

18 Likes

Love this.

11 Likes

Go for it @Ioeon !

11 Likes

It must’ve been a day to be outside! We went for a walk and found some HUGE leafs. I have been using them for birthday cards lately :smile:

26 Likes

So cool

9 Likes

Cool!!

9 Likes

Oh wow! That’s so unique!! Love how you thought of this!

10 Likes

Super cool! Are you going to preserve it in epoxy or something?

11 Likes

The sunburst color in that first one is so good!
I have done a few where I had the power set to remove all except the leaf veins, I liked the way they showed the leaf structure.

11 Likes

Not sure yet. Maybe poly and put in a glass frame… Or old skool and wax paper lol…

12 Likes

What a fantastic idea!!!

9 Likes

The first has such a stunning coloration! These are great!

7 Likes

My parents used “freezer paper” and tissue and wood glue to make a screen but they just used regular leaves between as lasers had not been invented yet.

5 Likes

Or let it be a reminder of the fundamental impermanence of all things. (That’s what I’d call it when I’m too lazy to take good care of something.)

Those are beautiful, though. The trees are just starting to mess up my back yard. Maybe we can find a few good ones and do a family project.

8 Likes

Oooooh, I have leaves. Did you laser yours fresh or frozen?

4 Likes

My parents would put any nice leaves they had in an old book and often forget they had dpne so so one might read a book and discover great leaves among the leaves.

Interesting note. In Miami, I could tell the species of tree from several miles off because the overall shape of the tree was different with each species, but the leaves (even oaks) were mostly generic ovals. However, when in N. Carolina or Pennsylvania the trees at a distance were much more similar, but the leaves were all sorts of wild shapes.

4 Likes

Picked up some leaves this morning. Threw one in the Glowforge to engrave tonight. Then dried them with a medium temperature iron between sheets of printer paper. Added Mod Podge and finished off with a clear spray to prevent tackiness. Threw together a simple card for my sister’s birthday tomorrow.

17 Likes

I love this! So personal and so seasonal.

6 Likes