Jagged edges and incomplete cutting - can anyone PLEASE help?

Does anyone have any issues with their Glowforge doing incomplete cuts or creating jagged/rough edges that are supposed to be smooth? I don’t know why this suddenly started. The only thing I can think of is my air assist fan. It is partially damaged (still works but I’m waiting on a replacement). Could this cause jagged edges when cutting?

Here are some pictures to refer to. The bunny has an incomplete cut and the letters show very small rough edges. They are very small like I said, but even the slightest imperfection ruins my project :frowning: I’ve done many projects like these in the past and haven’t changed anything, and this is just suddenly happening.

I’ve been trying to get answers from support for another issue, and they are swamped, so I figured I would check here.

Thanks so much for any help!!!

I would guess you have a belt/belts where the tension is off or there is a damaged spot. If your air assist fan is broken it’s possible fire got onto a spot on the belt and messed with the teeth. There are instructions at support.glowforge.com for checking your tension and examining for damage.

FYI, contacting support and posting here both open tickets - a staff member will be along shortly and will close this thread. If you want community help outside of opening a ticket you should open it (or move it now) to Everything Else.

2 Likes

as dierdrebeth said, probably a lose belt or missing teeth on the belt . failing that, possibly a bad wheel on the carriage. definitely looks like the laser is not moving as intended.

Thanks so much for your feedback! That definitely helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate it!

1 Like

Oh no, I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag.

Your print results suggest that you could be having trouble with a wheel on your carriage plate.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Remove the carriage plate from the laser arm
  3. Closely inspect the carriage plate wheels from the top for any cracks or other damage
  4. Closely inspect the sides of the wheels for any cracks or other damage
  5. If you notice anything damaged or out of place, please take a photo and attach it to your reply.

Thanks for your suggestion. I do see that one of the wheels is partially melted. However, I just purchased a replacement carriage plate yesterday and they told me they would ship it overnight. It did say flat rate shipping on my receipt though so hopefully it will ship soon. Thanks again for your help!

Hi @cathfotia, I just checked on your carriage plate order and it looks like it was delivered today. Please let us know if you’re still having trouble after swapping out the carriage plate and we’ll be happy to take a look. Thanks!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.