Japanese Ariake-Andon Lanterns

Miniature Japanese “Ariake-Andon” Table Lanterns. The design on the sides of the lanterns is known as ‘Kumiko’, a traditional Japanese technique made of many wooden bars crossed and laid to form various geometric designs, patterns, and expressions.

This particular Kumiko pattern is known as ‘Asanoha’; one of the oldest designs still in use. Asanoha is the most popular pattern in Japan. The triangle denotes protection against evil, and the collection of triangles conveys a meaning of strength and beauty. The lid of each lantern has the Japanese kanji symbols for ‘beauty’ and ‘strength’ cut into the top.

Rather than use traditional candles or oil lamps (and driving up the insurance premiums…), they use battery-powered LED “tea candles” that constantly change color. The frames of the lanterns are made from GF proofgrade plywood (cherry, maple, or walnut). Vellum paper covers the inside of the lanterns to diffuse the light from the LED tea candles. The battery in the LED tea candle is replaceable and can be purchased at department, hardware, or electronic stores. The LED tea candles are not anchored inside the lanterns and will slide around the bottom if shaken or rattled.

I designed and built each lantern myself. The lanterns are 4 inches wide by 4 inches deep, and 6.5 inches tall. They’re designed to be a stationary decorative accessory used indoors; rather than a child’s goal post for the neighborhood soccer match.

NOTE: I must caution parents with small children that the LED tea candle, and battery inside it, are choking hazards.

55 Likes

Very lovely. I really like the glow of the LED candles. If my children used my indoor accessories as goal posts, they wouldn’t be able to find their soccer ball. I imagine covering it in little mirrored pieces of acrylic and using it as a disco ball.

14 Likes

Nicely done! I love Kumiko, I’ve had fun pushing the limits of how fine I can make the cuts.

Also, “asanoha” means “morning flower,” which always feels to me like a whole poem in one word. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

These are stunning. But everything you make is beautiful.

6 Likes

These are really pretty!

4 Likes

They are so intricate! Beautiful work.

4 Likes

So beautiful!

4 Likes

The different colors really stand out. :blush:

4 Likes

Terrific work! Really pretty!

4 Likes

Beautiful! :heart: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Those are nice. Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

I agree. Beautiful.

3 Likes

Very pretty…

3 Likes

I’m still trying to figure out how to make these in Inkscape. I’m beyond jealous and love the work. Great job.

2 Likes

Your lamps are really very beautiful. Thanks for the story on this.

3 Likes

These are beautiful, I absolutely love the pattern , congrats on how lovely they turned out.

2 Likes

Lovely work, and more special that you designed yourself.

3 Likes

Attached is a PDF file I created on how to make stencils from recurring patterns. It’s a basic level tutorial, with a LOT of details and pictures. This is just one of dozens of ways to make stencils; so don’t feel compelled to follow the steps exactly. What I tried to do is convey intent.

Let me know what you think.

Making_Stencils.pdf (5.7 MB)

4 Likes

Thank you for this tutorial! I hope to put it to use in creating a pumpkin-carving stencil.

1 Like

Whipper snapper ,get off my grass, very funny , and just beautiful and inspiring a lot of ideas, blessed, thank you.

2 Likes