Jellyfish and Sea Turtle earrings

A while ago I made a sea turtle puzzle that has been super popular, mostly because it has the cutest baby sea turtle pieces in it! Since then, I’ve been running the idea of making earrings out of them through my mind, but I wanted to add a bit more than just the shell pattern, and trying to add swirls like I did for my hummingbird earrings didn’t turn out very nice. Then I spotted some hibiscus flowers and realized they would make the cutest cutouts on the baby sea turtles!

I also used a silly hack I saw on TikTok for backgrounds, pulled up a photo of the beach on my tablet and took the photo of my cute turtle babies laying on the screen with my phone. Really surprised that worked so well, although I had to do some moire blurring.

And did you know sea turtles eat jellyfish? Plus they are just so cool, so I set about designing a predator/prey pair of sea critter earrings :joy_cat::wink:
But you shouldn’t have wooden jellies, that is far too boring. I need color! So I splattered a bit of alcohol ink on before cutting these out, including some awesome glitter alcohol inks for the tentacles.

Apparently Glowforge likes them too, since they swam into the catalog :heart_eyes_cat:

I have to say, alcohol ink on PG white acrylic is rather addictive for adding color, welcome to the rabbit hole!

50 Likes

Those are wonderful!

4 Likes

Awww, thank you :heart_eyes_cat:

Love your work, looks really cool!

3 Likes

Really nice shading between the colors. I learned the frosted acrylic takes color well because of the texture.

4 Likes

Ooooh, the jellyfish are my favorites!! :clap:

2 Likes

So lovely, I really love the turtles but the jellyfish are my favourites, wonderful design!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I really like that alcohol ink effect. And your beach designs are the bomb!

2 Likes

Thank you for your nice words, @visuplayer, @PrintToLaser, @janee, @awebs76, and @cynd11!

@PrintToLaser I’ve worked for a couple of years with alcohol ink on mirror acrylic, so changing to white acrylic has a bit of learning curve! Mostly saturation, the more diluted for the white the better. I haven’t tried frosted acrylic, I’ll make a note of picking up some next time I buy acrylic!

3 Likes

I love both of those designs, and yes, I got them from the catalog!! Great job!

2 Likes

These are so cute. The turtles are my favorite AND i’ve already printed them:-)

2 Likes

Glad I could fill your ears (or those you make them for) with the crashing sound of ocean surf :joy_cat:

Beautiful! Love those jellyfish. Hmmm…didn’t know anything ate jellyfish. Turtles do…hmmmm

2 Likes

These are awesome! Congrats on getting them into the catalog.

2 Likes

Humans do too. I really like jellyfish salad.

2 Likes

Honestly had no idea that they are human edible – learn something new every day! Should I make a human earring to go along with them? :wink::rofl:

2 Likes

The jellyfish are super cute! Did you have to seal the ink on after cutting somehow?

2 Likes

I don’t, and the alcohol ink stays on as long as you don’t use rubbing alcohol to clean it, such as on the metal to sanitize. I made a pair for my sister, mailed them to her, and she promptly dropped them into rubbing alcohol to clean them before putting them on :joy_cat::joy_cat::joy_cat:

They are now ghost jellies!

You can wash with soap and water, just blot to dry instead of rubbing.

3 Likes