Jig-method alignment failure

Nothing like your token job, but I’ve done a lot of two-sided stuff using the jig-method, and this is the first time it has failed for me.

3 Likes

Of course it would manifest for a paying job. In my universe there would also be a deadline involved…

8 Likes

So between your test black one, and the multiple tags, it got misaligned. Did you restart the machine in between? I’m going to guess you did not. I mean, why would you.

Okay, my thinking is the head or gantry got touched when you were setting up your production run. That would cause the alignment to now be completely off from where it thinks it is. You might not have even noticed that, say, maybe the jig touched the head or gantry as you were setting things up. The software wouldn’t be the wiser, so the preview would look perfect, just like your test black one did. I feel pretty confident in this answer and I think if you did it all again, careful not to touch the head/gantry, it’ll work as you expect.

3 Likes

Okay, so had this issue or a similar one last week or the one before. I was going back and forth between non-:proofgrade: materials and :proofgrade: materials, of different thicknesses and not always adjusting the focus length. A cardboard jig was part of this process. When I got to what I wanted to engrave in the jig I made sure my focus length was correct for the material (a different focus length than the cardboard) and there was a misalignment.

I was using more than two materials, including some proofgrade, and there were a lot of steps. I remember thinking I should document this and then realized, I can’t precisely recall what I did. And I didn’t have time to try and reproduce it and reduce it to the simplest set of steps.

5 Likes

I guess it’s possible that I bumped the head or the gantry… but I don’t think I did. I’m working in the lower part of the bed, pretty well away from where that stuff is parked in the upper left. I was working gently to avoid any chance of moving the jig, even though it was held down with magnets.

@caribis i had cut a jig yesterday that was a pinch too small to cleanly drop the blanks into and pull them back out, so when I was setting up my file this morning I made the cutlines just a pinch bigger than they had been. I was also using a thicker cardboard today than I was yesterday. The difference in thickness was exactly the thickness of the aluminum blanks, so i dropped the cutouts from yesterday into the jig this morning before placing the aluminum blanks; the tops of the blanks were at the same level as the top of the jig (which was 0.150" according to my calipers.)

Logged out of the app, turned off the machine. Delivered 9 business cards to my client, with low-lpi engraved art on one side (my initial tests, which were to test for engrave-power consistency across the range of colors, and which were aligned just fine, but at half the desired lpi). Told him the other 41 were indefinitely postponed. Will try again later.

download

7 Likes

And he’s still your client? Lucky.

I might have said “No worries. The laser manufacturer had a bit of a glitch in their cloud so I wasn’t able to run them off yet. Should be able to do that tonight.” But “indefinitely postponed” says to me “I’m out of the business of engraving tags.”

1 Like

Not at all worried about losing him as a client. I didn’t charge for the 9 cards, and they are only a minor part of the work that I am doing for him. But it looks like the time it takes to engrave these (including “processing” time and “preparing your design” time) is not worth the amount that I can charge for them as business cards, so I may very well decide not to offer them to anyone else.
I might consider punching a hole, adding a jump ring, tripling my price, and calling them key ring/luggage tags.

8 Likes

I could never have a successful business making things. I ruin at least three for every one that I get right. There’s a reason I’m in software!

7 Likes

What a bummer. I have used almost this method many times with great success. I usually cover the bottom the bed in copier paper with a small piece of tape at connecting points if I’m using a space larger than 8.5 x 11. Then I upload a design that has a precise box the size of the thing I’m engraving or a perfect outline. I run the outline at (maybe 15 key chain blanks at a time) at 500/1 manual score at .01 thickness. Then I place each blank directly on top of where the score landed. I adjust the height for whatever I’m making and then engrave. I find this SO much easier than using cardboard. I started out with cardboard and the fit is usually too tight or large enough that the object can move around a little and doesn’t perfectly center. Also it moves when you try to place all the items. I usually tape the edges of the paper down so it doesn’t move. I pretty much only use copier paper for jigs now.

14 Likes

That could actually be your problem. Same thing happened to me when running a large batch of coins. I was doing a whole sheet of proofgrade and had it too close to the bottom of the machine, when it ran the first line of the engrave at the very bottom it hit something and shifted by about the same amount as yours. Try staying as far away from the bottom as possible, it might bring you success.

5 Likes

Well, I made a new array of six cards (3 rows of two, centered in the 12x20 artboard), cut a new jig, and ran one pair: success.
Currently running a batch of six… looks good so far, but will take an hour to complete (one side).

5 Likes

batch of six came out fine. Running another. Wish I knew if my issue was a bumped gantry, bumped jig, an un-noticed click in the UI, the placement of my art in the bed, alignment drift, gravitational shift, or a cloud-processing issue. But it’s working now.

9 Likes

Don’t forget phase of the moon… Or Tuesday… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

you had me worried. I’m forever using the “disposable jig” method for my fun stuff and a run I just did for charity.

1 Like

Or “cosmic ray strike,” my favorite BOFH excuse from the 90s… :innocent:

3 Likes

Tuesday would have been fine, but it was a Thursday…
giphy

8 Likes

I can’t recommend any support here, but sorry to hear this happen. The 1/4" of doom has got me a few times.

…gremlins.

C1922076-881C-4496-8CDF-5EA4A0509442

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear that your next batch worked, @jbv !

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!

1 Like