Jigsaw puzzle generator

@jamesdhatch, @deirdrebeth, @eflyguy
It was a quick diversion, for me making it, and for the family putting it together.

I was faster! :wink:

4 Likes

I’m not allowed to make puzzles for the family anymore. I made one for my daughter who was talking about “puzzle night” at school - it was a line drawing of the university library off a campus map. Nice easy little 5x6. And 200 pieces :slight_smile:

I think “puzzle night” was to do something other than jigsaw puzzles though. But I don’t wanna know for sure. My only daughter after all. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

ESCHER LIVES ON!!

Amazing one indeed!

Can any of you enlight me on settings and how to practically start from a digital image file to end up with a working physical puzzle?

I mean I know how to generate the pattern but:

1. I miss how to practically transfer the image to the media: what’s the easiest media to work with to end up with a good quality looking puzzle?

2. once you generate the svg with the generator and align it on the gf, which are the settings required not to sacrifice image vs playability of the tolerance of the pieces?

Thanks all! Specially to the OP!

That is going to depend on what kind of puzzle you are making. If it’s a photo, then you need to attach it to a backing board like chipboard - which is most “traditional” puzzle-like. If it’s an engraving, you can print it directly onto the wood in the machine. The majority of puzzles I’ve made are plain wood or acrylic - no design, the puzzle is figuring out how the pieces interlock to complete the shape.

As to cut settings, that depends on the material you are using.

2 Likes

OK let’s try with chipboard then.

How to attach a digital pic to it? :slight_smile: step by step! :wink:

Thanks!

If you use the search function, you will find many existing discussions about this…

Here’s one example.

3 Likes

I have found, I think, the most efficient and quickest process as possible.
It only works for 8x10 puzzles.

4 Likes

Neat results!! Can you link me the type of adhesive paper you used to print the picture onto? Any special laser printer you use?

Exactly what I was searching for, you are the best! Thank you :pray:

Thank you for sharing this, and the updates. I’ve used your generator many times-on glossy photos glued to chipboard, and with etched photos on 1/8" birch ply. Definitely the cleanest files of the handful of puzzle generators I’ve played with.

2 Likes

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks! I just discovered the pattern brushes ( they are kind of new in the iPad version) and they are fun!

1 Like

Has anyone tried this lately? I haven’t been able to get it to work. It goes, “jigsaw.svg.csv”
Any feedback?

I just tried it from what I think is an updated link and it worked fine.
https://draradech.github.io/jigsaw/jigsaw.html

4 Likes

Looks like you might be on a phone or tablet device. Have you tried from a desktop? The mobile browser might not be handling the file type correctly.

1 Like

Does the file work if you just delete the .csv part of the file name?

1 Like

It did the same thing on my desktop. Eventually I took a screen shot and converted that to svg. It worked but it double cut the entire puzzle… Now i’ve got to figure out how to get rid of the double lines… Bit frustrating but its all part of learning.

Sorry, I don’t think I expressed my question sufficiently. After or during the saving of the file “jigsaw.svg.csv” does the file work if you just rename the file “jigsaw.svg”?

As for double cutting - that will always happen when you trace a raster image (which a screen shot will always be) unless your tracing software supports centerline trace.

4 Likes

Inkscape just recently added (and I think a Illustrator has it as well) a “centerline” trace option which will only create single lines, but as for removing doubles there’s a tutorial for that!

2 Likes