Job countdown continues to run down and fan stays on yet laser head stops moving and firing

A file I have used many times and printed successfully has suddenly caused the laser head to stop mid-project, yet the countdown continues to decrease and the fan stays on until the countdown is complete. Once complete, the laser head does not rehome. I can start another job but the laser head won’t move unless I turn it off and on. Ambient temperature is perfectly within range. If I try pressing the button to pause, nothing occurs, even if I lift the lid the fan continues to run and the head does not rehome. It’s not even just this file. It has done the same to me before on previous files.

The last file this happened to was sent to the machine on 9/25/19 at 8:55 am CST. I let it countdown all the way until complete and did not cancel it so you can hopefully diagnose the problem on your end.

Please let me know if I need to do anything else. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Put in a piece of draftboard and print the Gift of Good Measure with Proofgrade settings. If that doesn’t print properly, post photos and and time/date of the operation. If it prints properly, there is something going on with the files.

1 Like

I have done several jobs on that same machine that kept pausing and it is working properly. I also have a 2nd machine so I placed the “problem” file into that machine and it cut the file perfectly without stopping. I don’t think it’s the file since 1 machine was able to flawlessly cut it but the other was not. I had another file that the glitchy machine stopped on, but once I opened the same file on the other machine, it cut just fine.

Support uses the result of printing the Gift of Good Measure as a diagnostic tool, but you will obviously have to wait for them to weigh in. Good luck

My machine would overheat in the summertime, and the cutting head would stop, but the timer kept going. It would eventually restart, and would finish the job, as long as I could get it cooled down. Problem I had was that I had it sitting in front of a west facing window, and no matter how close I kept the blinds, it would get pretty warm, even if the ambient temp of the room was fine. Eventually, I plastered the window with foil and invested in a portable AC unit, which I kept right next to the laser. That worked. I’ve since moved it to another room, with better layout, but I had to wait until one of my kids moved out to do that.
I don’t know if that is what is happening with yours, but that is my experience.

And along with what @sixboysdad noted, check the AIR INTAKE on the right side of the unit–be sure nothing’s up against that side or blocking the intake vents on the underside, as if this is restricted, it can cause such behavior. (I learned to not put paper on right side of the unit as it will get sucked up against the vents & block them!)

Also make sure the exhaust fan is not gunked up or any restriction/kink in the exhaust line.

Thank you for providing detailed information about the trouble with your Glowforge. I extracted the logs from your machine to take a closer look. Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending that this one be repaired.

I’m closing this thread and I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.