Journal part 2

So, I kept iterating on the leather journal I was making for my friend. I was able to grab a picture of one of her favorite artworks with my phone, then used that to etch it into the leather.

Then I got some leather dye to get it into some other shade than nude vegtan color :slight_smile: This was my first ever attempt at dying leather. It was hard to get an even coat, but I kind of liked the distressed look of uneven dye better anyhow.

It looked pretty decent once I had a book in it.

Still, we wanted to try it in some nicer leather so I went off to tandy for some oiled leather and started cutting out sections to fit the laser bed.

I had no issues cutting out the pieces for the cover.

Then, after doing some additional touchup to remove the ruled lines from her artwork picture I went to etch it into the back of the cover. Since it’s not proofgrade, I used a piece of copy paper and some Krylon Easy-Tack to stick it to the leather while I etched it. I like it because it feels like a big post-it note with that adhesive so it’s easy to remove.

I sewed the parts together and she was one happy camper. It feels great and should last her many years :slight_smile:

52 Likes

Cool project! I should totally make something like that for my daughters. Composition notebook covers…
Nice work :grinning:

7 Likes

That looks great!

Interesting - my tests with oil tan leather resulted in smouldering burns. I guess not all oil tan is created equal.

13 Likes

Awesome job @macphee I really can’t wait to make some Journal covers. Both of the types of leathers turned out beautiful.

3 Likes

My sister would really go for that - she’s very big into hand sewn leather anything! Chuckle! (Journal covers especially desirable.)

3 Likes

I had cemented in my mind that oil-tanned leather was going to create a “hot mess” and was sooooo excited to see you create such a beautiful and successful project from it. Amazing!

4 Likes

Totally, there are too many processes and too many chemicals that vary in quality as well as the mixing of procedures such as doing a chrome tan and finishing up with a veg tan. This is definitely reassuring for me!

3 Likes

I know what you mean! Super excited. I have mainly Veg tanned leather but I also have some Oil tanned. I am hopeful that I might be able to do some simple things with it at least.

1 Like

Beautiful!

Very nice. I’m really looking forward to doing some leather work.

My wallet is holding on by a thread at the moment, but i refuse to buy a new one since i’ll be able to make my own soon.

3 Likes

Now to find someone brave enough to try latigo.

At first I thought you meant “after buying the GF I have no money to do any leather work” then realized you probably literally meant "my wallet is hanging together by just a thread, and I need to cut a new one…" :grin:

7 Likes

My wallet at this point is simply destroyed. I am NOT getting a new one until I can make it on my GLOWFORGE!!!

3 Likes

I’m right there with you :smile:

2 Likes

Just FYI, apply the dye with a small circular motion and work methodically across the material if you want an even cover. My favorite is using jeweler’s rouge and an oil stain, gives a nice texture to the coloring.

2 Likes

I wonder how big the pile of dead wallets would be with so many of us waiting to try out making one.

5 Likes

Hi! I use latigo leather for cutting and engraving. Not to self promote but you can see it on Instagram at @derbyvixen or my Etsy shop at www.derbyvixen.etsy.com. Let me know if you have any questions about using latigo and I’d be happy to help!