So, I kept iterating on the leather journal I was making for my friend. I was able to grab a picture of one of her favorite artworks with my phone, then used that to etch it into the leather.
Then I got some leather dye to get it into some other shade than nude vegtan color This was my first ever attempt at dying leather. It was hard to get an even coat, but I kind of liked the distressed look of uneven dye better anyhow.
It looked pretty decent once I had a book in it.
Still, we wanted to try it in some nicer leather so I went off to tandy for some oiled leather and started cutting out sections to fit the laser bed.
I had no issues cutting out the pieces for the cover.
Then, after doing some additional touchup to remove the ruled lines from her artwork picture I went to etch it into the back of the cover. Since it’s not proofgrade, I used a piece of copy paper and some Krylon Easy-Tack to stick it to the leather while I etched it. I like it because it feels like a big post-it note with that adhesive so it’s easy to remove.
I sewed the parts together and she was one happy camper. It feels great and should last her many years