Just a desk nameplate

My sister just got a new job after 19 years as a CPS worker, and wanted something for her new desk. Since her birthday is coming up and I had some scrap laying around, it was a perfect time to design something. I used wooden blocks that came packaged together from Hobby Lobby, PG Purple Acrylic, and Gold Marble Acrylic from Inventables.

Sanded the blocks slightly and applied a finish and called it a day. I bonded the acrylics together with Weldon 3 then used E300 epoxy to join the acrylic to the wood. Since I had the trough cut out for the nameplate on the acrylic the weldon worked perfectly without leaching out and discoloring.

The purple and gold are a nod to JMU and not the school she is working at since she floats between 4.

26 Likes

Very elegant! What script font is that on the name? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Your thread title is wrong, here I’ll fix it:

Just an awesome lasered desk nameplate.

11 Likes

Blacksword for the name and Amperzand for the bottom.

3 Likes

She is so going to love that!

4 Likes

Nice choice of fonts and attention to detail. It’s the thought you spent in the design elements that bring it true value!

4 Likes

That is a really great nameplate!

2 Likes

Very nicely done.

How thick is the base, looks to be more than 1/2 inch?

2 Likes

It is just a hair over 1/2" thick, but I used it as is. I based my design off of the base width and length. The only thing I used the laser for was to score the outline of the acrylic on to perfectly align while gluing.

1 Like

Kudos to you for remembering to unite the letters (I tend to forget that). Best of luck to your sister in her new job!

4 Likes

Looks nice … nice of you to get her set for the new desk!

1 Like

Very nice! I love the acrylic accent, are they the school colors?

1 Like

Just to her college alma mater.