Like I said in the other post, my sister is floating between four schools, which means she needs four nameplate. I only had enough wooden material to make two identical plates, so I decided to up the ante on my design and use my acrylics for two more.
I opted to stick with a thick clear acrylic base then added an additional medium white layer for both. One I stuck with the JMU theme and added a reverse engraved clear name on purple (there’s a frosted piece on the back).
The next was more of proof of concept, I’m ok with it but not “pleased” with the results. I wanted an all clear glass theme but quickly changed course as I began assembling. There are four tiers to the base, thick clear, medium white, medium clear, Inventables white marble. After I glued the clear on top of the white I realized my idea would show too much glue area, so I switched to the marble to “cover it up”. I’ll have to do more research into TAP and Weldon for their acrylic glues before I attempt making an all clear version, which undoubtedly I will try with the green glass acrylic instead.
I’ve run across quite a few on here, but I know TAP or Weldon had one specifically for bonding clears without any bleeding. I feel like I remember it being A) extremely expensive B) slow set time. Since I hate trying to find ways to clamp my odd designs set times are important.
That’s the one I based a lot of my adhesive purchases for acrylic on. I have the Weldon 3 and 4, both as stated take quite a bit of practice. Also they work best if you can clamp the two together and carefully wick around the edge of the seam. I did this today with a needle applicator and adding a score line to all layers. Since I goobered up the main three insert pieces (applied way too much in the channel before setting the three in at once and it sucked up in between the pieces) I have some clear to practice on to see how to “sandwich” them the best.