Just got a pre-release yesterday, some pics & items made

I wondered if the tilt sensor could be triggered by sudden accel/decel of a truck, while sitting flat on the bed.

But specs say 80 deg rotation triggers, so it pretty much had to have been rotated fully to another side (or the truck got into a crash).

6 Likes

I wouldn’t think so; seems to be a metal disc that would have to slide up pretty high out of the plastic sleeve. I am not sure if there is a one-way door that prevents it from being slid back in or not, cause the top of the sleeve is hidden…I could see someone trying to make it slide back in & claiming that it was never triggered, lol…

2 Likes

great job already.

3 Likes

The FedEx guy an me titled my box on it’s side to more easily get in the door. Figured it didn’t didn’t have a bunch of loose bowling balls inside, so probably safe to do.

14 Likes

Congrats!!! Did you know it was coming? Are pre release for those that ordered during the funding?? Enjoy and have fun with it

1 Like

I had no idea until I got the e-mail from Rita, very soon before the delivery. It was a very happy whirlwind…

I was one of funding period orderers…

4 Likes

You alway know they are coming.

Pre-release come to select folk that have applied for beta testing, you do not have to be one of the campaign orders.

2 Likes

Glowforge sends you an email and one or two days after you accept a pre-release unit arrives. Or if you’re karaelena FedEx delivers all but one box and after a few days figures out where that last box is.

There is a link somewhere around here to apply for the “beta” program, but it is also where they get their pre-release candidates from. So far it appears the pre-release units are being sent to makers with a media presence and to some of the most active forum members. Not all of them have been campaign orderers. The secret recipe for deciding who to send a pre-release unit is a secret known only to a select few in Seattle.

6 Likes

It seems that the Proofgrade ply they send in the starter pack is the maple. The cherry and the walnut are gorgeous. I only got walnut hardwood and haven’t at all done the maple or cherry hardwood I have received. Reserving tone of those for Scrabble tiles.

4 Likes

No doubt sealed in a Starbucks cup buried in the front yard of the house that Jimi Hendrix grew up in.

I could be wrong though…

12 Likes

This made me snortle. The visual is beautiful.

3 Likes

LOVE THIS IDEA!

1 Like

I am so impatient !!! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Woo~~can’t wait!! hope can receive soon

4 Likes

Actually, it is in the Starbucks directly across the street from the Glowforge offices (Google Maps Street View).

3 Likes

The “TiltWatch” on the box that arrived at my place was red too. I wasn’t shocked, I watched the FedEx guy hoist it over his shoulder sideways. :slight_smile:

Enjoy!! I can’t wait to see the things you make!!

7 Likes

so if such mistreatment is common, do the glowforge staff want us to take pictures, refuse the shipment, some other action when the indicators indicate bad handling?

2 Likes

Well, I took pictures of everything before I opened up the boxes. Everything with the unit I received was perfectly fine.

I think this is a question for @dan.

On a side note, I took pictures of how each item was packaged for when I return the unit to Glowforge. I don’t think I could remember it all when it’s time to repack the Glowforge Pre-Release for shipment back to Washington.

7 Likes

I think the size and weight mandates two people to carry it but I have never seen anything delivered by Fedex or UPS with two people. They just struggle with ridiculous weights. I used to get boxes of motors delivered that weighed 50kg and one poor delivery guy was expected to carry them and did. Fortunately they weren’t delicate.

3 Likes

Yes, the tilt watch was red on mine, too…but just like you, the FedEx carried it into my living… not exactly sideways, but certainly tilted.

4 Likes