Just got an Ear savers request I believe to be a scam

Yes it’s hard for people to accept when they’re getting the right information. It’s very hard if you are used to being in charge, I feel for you. It’s so difficult to be charitable when doing charity.

5 Likes

I’m done saying my peace, it’s a warning to all it’s a possibility, and right now it a very high one…if you don’t think so, then that’s your decision

Commit libel? LOL… did you read, I never said she did it, I said she had her own problems, and I read it on a forum platform, I never said anything to the like she did, this is really unbelievable, really…

Yup, lets give free stuff to a scammer…thats charity…how do you know they are legit?

The implication is enough to qualify as libel.

Yes but he saw it somewhere. It must be true.

4 Likes

Then why did you post on a public forum looking for a public opinion?:confused:

Nto hte best logic.

3 Likes

Yikes! It’s hot here in this thread!

5 Likes

You don’t. You either are willing to give or you aren’t. Trust has to start somewhere. If you’re not ready to take that leap, then don’t. Part of being charitable is that you assume good intent… this is what so many conservative types get wrong about social/charitable programs. So what if someone gets a few free ear savers that shouldn’t have? We should take reasonable precautions not to waste stuff, but if we’re going to err we should err on the side of kindness.

If it were me I’d have sent them the ear savers, but then I come from a place of trust. You make the call as you see fit.

10 Likes

If you don’t want to send them, just don’t do it, but I do think you should share the info with someone else. Some of us would rather get the clips out than worry about the legitimacy of the requests. If someone feels like they need the clips that badly, so be it. They aren’t life saving devices, nor are they horribly expensive. I can’t imagine she hacked into the GF database to get clips from you, so just pass it along.

6 Likes

The emails that are sent out have the customer’s name, then the category of the place they work. So if the person works at a group home, that’s exactly how it would have come up. Then her address underneath.

I really wish you would let one of us help her out, since you’ve decided not to. :frowning:

3 Likes

All I can say is wow this thread and I’ve had some epic rants on this forum… :roll_eyes:

There is one, heavy air quotes, “stole” mentioned here: Living Hinge Pencil Box Pattern

I also don’t think defamation actually applies in this case, none of us are that important to be negatively impacted.

If it negatively impacts your business, it meets the legal standard. I have an Etsy shop where I sell my designs, so this sort of accusation would hurt my business. The law doesn’t say you have to be “important” in order to be defamed.

2 Likes

Hi Mike! Please forward the problem email to us so we can take a look.

No. We’re arranging to connect with people who need them. We’re not judging that need - it can be delivery drivers, checkout clerks, or people requesting them in their own neighborhood. It’s even possible someone could take advantage, exactly as you suggested.

Ultimately you’ll need to decide if participating in the program as it stands is something that feels good to you. If it doesn’t, just let us know and we’ll note that you’re not going to fulfull that request.

10 Likes
1 Like

Maybe there could be an introductory email that is sent out that CC’s both of the parties so that it looks official.

Our hospital and er census has been low so there has not been a lot of requests for ear savers so I initially signed up, but then didn’t request any because I can diy it at the volume we need.

However I would have directed the shipment to my home as shipping things to the hospital isn’t efficient.

There are many people who work in medicine and go to peoples’ homes to provide care, hospice services.

5 Likes

I’m apologizing to geek2nurse my wife pointed out yesterday I left out the word people stole her designs like she got scammed. We did not notice that till later, I certainly did not mean she stole designs from other people. On this person, i know you all automatically want to feel like it is a needy person, however we proved it otherwise, we do not want to give out any info for privacy, but it is not a needy person, or anyone that works in a home, or anyone that just needs 77 of them, the person represented that they had a group home, when they do not. I don’t want to be judged, I only warned the community and there could be scammers out there.

3 Likes

There is when they come from Glowforge. They also have both parties’ contact info, the recipient’s phone number (& address) and instructions on how to sign up for more. Unfortunately they come in the form of “name”, “type of institution”, “address”, “email”, “phone number”. So you’ll get something like “Fred Jones” and then “Hospital”. We all know Fred doesn’t have a hospital named after him but Fred probably works there and may be having them shipped to their home so they’re not held up with business delivery issues. (I just finished an order where it is going to the hospital - I googled the address so I could print out the USPS ship & click - but also had a couple lines of delivery instructions to deliver it to a department, where the department was and who else to contact if the addressed recipient wasn’t available.)

4 Likes

That the request came from a residence or apartment does not in any way “prove” it’s a scam. I’ve provided hundreds and have shipped them everywhere from New York to California. Every request has had a residential shipping address, that being faster and safer than sending to the facility itself. Many of them went as far as explaining why they used their home address.

My base assumption is that people are good, until proven otherwise. Have I donated any savers to a scammer? Perhaps, but what did it cost me? A buck of scrap acrylic and some postage. Oh yeah, mustn’t forget the envelope.

Again, just my opinion, but if someone makes a commitment as a volunteer, then they are honor-bound to meet it. I donate platelets every 2 weeks (2.5 hours connected to a blood separator). Do I ask if my platelets and plasma are going to a convicted murderer? No. Do I suggest that the blood center is going to sell my blood on the black market? Certainly not. It’s not my place to vet the requests. Period.

Maybe we live in different worlds. If so, I like my world a lot better.

Peace and health.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.