Key fob with velcro

I wouldn’t consider this worthy of posting except it is a milestone for me. I needed a velcro back on this and it just made since to cut it the same shape as the fob. Well, there is nothing close to this in proofgrade so I had to make a SWAG* on power and speed. Looks like I nailed it.

*Scientific wild a## guess

47 Likes

Was this preassembled and cut as one piece or 2 pieces accurately cut and assembled second?

2 Likes

I might have cut it an 1/8 smaller all around just to make it easier to remove and use. Are you going with a metal keyring thru the hole or some kind of rivet?

Yay for SWAG!

Edit: thru not they… Love autocorrect

5 Likes

Top picture…I see two lips and the chin and the tip of a nose…lol Thought it was you…lol :sunglasses:
Edit : oh yeah the SWAG. love it !

2 Likes

Mark, did you apply the adhesive velcro to the back of the wood before cutting and engraving, or just cut it separately? (Awesome job on it!) :smiley:

4 Likes

You are right, next time I’ll bump down just a smidgen to have a small lip.

4 Likes

I cut them separately and assembled, now I wonder how it would have come out the other way?

3 Likes

i think you probably already did it the best way; trying to do it together would probably damage the velcro (not to much smuttening it up with smoke and resin).

4 Likes

Just a pinch more power (or slower?), and then no aligning afterwards?

3 Likes

It would have to be a pinch slower as 1/8" proofgrade ply already runs at 100%. After thinking about it though, I think the two cuts is probably the best way. No cross contamination from the cut.

It would be interesting to test this with a variety of sticky-backed (but laser safe!) materials, like the 3M backed veneers.
I was just thinking about how some adhesive-backed products have a very strong connection to the backing material, and some have a weaker bond, which might result in goop or particles getting between the layers and compromising the adhesive.
Also about how some decal-type materials are weakened by heat, while others can benefit from judiciously applied heat, especially at the edges.

3 Likes

All good thoughts. As I’ve stated elsewhere, I’ll burn anything that is safe and shows up on my doorstep. I’m as curious as anyone on “will it forge?”

I couldn’t find what was in the adhesive for the velcro but the velcro itself is nylon and the adhesive cover looks to be polyester so I went for it. Cutting velcro will be a thing for me now unless the safety police jump in and tell me there is something horrid in it.

7 Likes

Back when I worked with the government, SWAG simply meant “Super Wild A## Guess” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Silly, sonars… The s is quite variable.

1 Like

Until I get my Glowforge I made my key fob without Velcro with my scroll saw

19 Likes

I could never cut anything that well with a manual tool, that is why I love my smart tools so much. Good job!

2 Likes

Uh yeah, that looks pretty darn good! :smiley:

1 Like

I cut lots of the LaserLights material from Rowmark…it is very thin with 3m adhesive…never had an issue with the heat messing up the adhesive…

7 Likes

I like hearing that!

1 Like

Sorry for digging up something so old, but is there any chance you can share your cut/score/engrave setting for laserlights? I just picked some up!