Kiss Cutting

if the window cling is Vinyl than it is not safe to cut.
there are clings made from other materials:
LexJet makes polypropylene cling material, as does plastiprint, and others. Adding “pvc-free” to your web search for any particular product that you may have concerns about will help to narrow down the initial results.
This page has a nice list of some non-pvc walls clings, not sure if any will work for windows,

10 Likes

I just ordered some of these double sided acrylic adhesive sheets to try out the durability/usability of before the :glowforge: arrives. It may be difficult to find certain materials and woods that already have have adhesive applied.

Edit) I forgot to mention that they make these in many larger sizes.

6 Likes

Would you cut the adhesive sheets first and then mount the project or would you stick the one side to the project and then cut the project and the adhesive sheet together?

Did you have projects in mind?

1 Like

Neat! You will have to report back to us on how well they work.
If you don’t already have something one, consider getting a squeegee. I use several different versions of this, my favorites being the Gold and the Blue w/Felt.
The golds are my favorite for laying down masking material, while the blue/felt-edge is nice for delicate films/prints that can scratch, like automotive wrap film (although probably not necessary for the double-sided adhesive).
You can always use an old credit-card/library card as a squeegee, but they don’t flex quite right. I’ve even seen folks slap Monkey Strips on a plastic putty knife in a pinch.

5 Likes

I suppose it would depend on the project. If I were making lots of something small, I might mount the sheet first. If I was making something with several contrasting woods then I would probably cut first & mount after.

I have veneers in species that would be way too expensive to source or perhaps completely unavailable with adhesive pre-applied. Wooden decals come to mind first, but, also creating wood wraps for common items such as re-usable containers.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips! I added the squeegee(*) to my Amazon laser list. The Monkey Strips look very handy as well. I save all those fake c-cards, they make wonderful glue spreaders for wood working.

• Very clever, almost got me to say that “s” word! :stuck_out_tongue: :grin: :laughing:
7 Likes

I had not thought of double sided acrylic adhesive sheets applied to wood veneers, but it make good sense to use a nice veneer on a lesser expensive base.

I can see where felt and other flat materials cut precisely with a good adhesive backing would make for excellent projects.

How thick are the veneers? Are they stuff you produced or that you found a good deal on?

2 Likes

Good idea, I’ll definitely have to play with some of the cloth & leather, I have, as well. I might also be able to scrounge up some metal foil.

The veneer runs between .020 &.035. The veneer was acquired as “random cutoffs for marquetry” for a decent price, but are very limited as to available quantities. I might share the vendor info, if the quality proves out.

3 Likes

I ordered some adhesive wood from this site:
https://www.cardsofwood.com/store/store_results.php?pageNum_Catalog=0&totalRows_Catalog=1&mastercatname=thick-wood-panels

Prices weren’t too bad ( shipping hurts a little when spoiled by Amazon Prime). Also picked up some of the wooden postcards - jut think those will be neat to send once I get my GF. Instead of typical birthday or greeting cards, a wooden postcard or card. This site sells the veneer for inkjet and laser printers as well.

9 Likes

I haven’t heard them talk about something like this yet, but that sounds like a fantastic idea! @dan, @Tony hopper?

1 Like

Got that bookmarked, thanks! :+1:

I wonder if the adhesive backed panels could be used a the protective covering (remembering to mirror image the full thickness cuttings).

1 Like

We haven’t announced our starting lineup for the store yet, but I don’t think this is planned for it.

We love this stuff too! @shell did an amazing wine bottle label with it recently, as I recall.

11 Likes

as much of a packrat as I am, I’m surprised that I haven’t been keeping these.

3 Likes

I use mine (old CC’s) to smooth the vinyl mask on my glasses that I sand blast or to smooth down on the sillhouette mat before cutting.

3 Likes