Kitchen Conversion File

I really liked free kitchen conversion file that Glowforge generously gifted to us today, so much so that I printed it right away. Unfortunately , after printing I noticed that the measurement for white rice is quite wrong. It should read 2 cups of water per cup of rice. I cant give this as a gift with wrong info. : (

The file is easily editable…

2 Likes

Yes, but I already printed it. Also, I’m new and just barely learning inkscape. I just think they should fix it or at least, people should be aware of it before they make the same mistake I did. I’m just trying to save people some trouble.

I have been told 2 - 1 for white rice many times in my life, even from brand to brand the ratios and cook times/ methods change. The chart is not really wrong imo and its pretty easy to change.

Just trying to help. Didn’t realize you printed without checking first. :slightly_smiling_face:

Lots of incorrect info on the interwebs, always best to verify first.

4 Likes

It is easy to change if you notice it before you print. I didn’t think to proofread before I printed, unfortunately. I’m just hoping to bring it to the attention of others before they make the same mistake I did. As for regular white rice, all brands I have ever cooked (many) in the last 3 + decades on the stovetop have been 2 cups of water per 1 cup rice. It’s true that there is instant rice, but I would hope people know to follow the directions on the box if that is what they are using. It is also true that different cooking methods might affect the the ratio. For example, a rice cooker, instant pot, slow-cooker, might all be different ratios, however it seems to me that this conversion chart was meant for the traditional cooking method, which is the stovetop.

1 Like

Ah the one @eflyguy posted was already edited, thought he posted the original for some reason sry for the confusion. I was like “well that all looks correct to me” and was super confused. Been cooking just a long as you have and I see we actually agree now that I know whats going on lol. Those instructions there do kinda seem to be for an instant white rice. Always a pain to check files and even then things get missed before the no going back button gets pressed. been saying or thinking I’m too tired to be posting a bunch of posts ago so I think ill take my own advice and get some rest and try again tomorrow.

1 Like

I just now saw that you actually edited it to the correct measurements in this link! I only noticed because another commenter pointed it out to me. That is very helpful. Thank you! I will print it again tomorrow. :slightly_smiling_face:

thanks for pointing out that @elyfly actually edited the file in the link he provided. I actually missed that. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :slightly_smiling_face:

I think it’s a bit subjective too. In my instapot I use a 1:1 ratio for white rice.

:joy:

(Pressure cooker rice is 1:1)

1 Like

Not gonna reference Uncle Roger… not gonna reference Uncle Roger…

2 Likes

You use 2 to 1 for rice?!? Wow, you must really like sticky rice!
I use 1 to 1 or 1.5 to 1 if I wanted it slightly sticky.

Maybe it’s a regional thing?

I was always told “rice is nice; water is twice” but, the saucepans I use seal so well, I had to switch to: “rice is swell; water as well.”

2 Likes

True, my rice cooker has a steam vent - but it’s a tiny one, if you were doing it in an open saucepan you would boil off a lot more

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and discussion! I’m going to close this thread, and let the team who made the design know about it for the future.