Knife Block - Inlay (In Progress)

Huh…didn’t know that.

If those were black reeds, it might look better, i just don’t like the contrast. (And I’m too cheap to buy 1000 of the black ones - they’re a lot pricier. Chuckle!)

I can probably hide the effect by raising the sides about half an inch though - I’ll give it a try and see before abandoning the idea.

3 Likes

Whoops. thanks for catching that. Fixed it. Sorry Jules, it looks perfect and complete!

3 Likes

Squeeeee! After your compass rose I didn’t even want to show this! :smile:

1 Like

That is friggen unreal!! Gorgeous, so so so cool

2 Likes

Amazing…again…you hit it out of the park on creativity!

3 Likes

I love that you made a knife block that is intentionally designed to hold knives in any direction or arrangement, but your knives are still put into it all facing the same direction and evenly spaced. :joy:

But I suppose it’s that sort of precision that makes for such beautiful work. :smiley:

7 Likes

Only for it’s debut photo op…once it gets put into actual use, i doubt very much it’s going to look that nice. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Or just drop a belt sander on the top. Should be able to sand the reeds down without breaking them since they’re packed in. A 3x18 sander seems like it would fit in there.

6 Likes

Whoa - there’s an idea! You don’t think they’d just shred? I can find a sander somewhere…

1 Like

If they were loose maybe but if they’re packed in they should be fine.

If they do, you tip them out and put them back in upside down :slight_smile: If they don’t you saved yourself the trouble of making the higher sides.

5 Likes

Damn! I like the way you think! (Turn them over…duh!) :sunglasses:

4 Likes

That is beautiful!! Any helpful hints on doing inlay work? At first I though that was just a solid engrave, it fits perfectly from the look of it (Can you sand it down if the inlay is too high?) Did you have to adjust for any kerf separately, or just engrave one image and cut the same image/shape out of the veneer and it fits well? (Is proofgrade® veneer adhesive?) Can’t wait to see what’s next !

(Nice to see brush hook has a new neighbor) :grin:

4 Likes

I could have sanded it down, the inlay is just a little too high, but I didn’t for this one. That is just straight cut it out of the veneer and stick it in the holes. No kerf adjustments made.

The PG almost makes it too easy. It’s got a really strong 3M adhesive attached. :smile:

4 Likes

pretty! and organized!

3 Likes

Me too. That looks very good! I’d guess the pieces sitting proud accentuates the fact that it’s an inlay, which is a good thing IMO.

4 Likes

Wow! I have a knife block design I’ve been meaning to print for ages, and now I’m tempted to scrap it and take this approach instead. It’s fantastic.

13 Likes

Holy smokes, that is wonderful! Beautiful work!

3 Likes

If your veneer is proud of the surface, can’t you just sand it down? Edit - after reading the whole thread i see that you said that yourself.
I plan on making one of these too, but i’ll be using wooden skewers - only about €1 (or less) per packet. The other advantage is that the skewers are pointed, so no danger of stabbing the knives into the end of one - they will automatically go between them.

2 Likes

I could have. I didn’t want to mess up the pretty finish on the Proofgrade. :relaxed:
(I’ll get over that eventually.)

6 Likes

A little bit of spray laquer or some wax or oil will get that back.

4 Likes