Knife Block Reworked

Thank you very much! :grin:

3 Likes

shoot, I’m going to have to search for the orig posting. (I’m not sure if anyone noticed, but I was out of town for a while last week.) This is gorgeous! I’m really looking forward to doing some inlay work. The contrast is stunning.

11 Likes

Chuckle! Nope! Wasn’t aware… :wink:

7 Likes

Was thinking about the skewers falling out (if it was picked up and tipped, or Hedgie climbed on the sill and knocked it over into the sink…). What if you put some carpenters glue in the bottom before you places all the skewers (just a coating) to hold them. Or if you wanted the skewers to be removable (clean/replace them), what if you put 1/4 inch of clay in the bottom and pushed the skewers slightly down… ?

5 Likes

Argh, want to do this! Dearly need a knife block at home.

5 Likes

Beautiful! A nice piece of work!

2 Likes

That inlay is beautiful! Inspiring :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thanks guys! :grin:

3 Likes

Doing work like this by hand would take hours or days. A little iteration like “widening the spacing” would be completely overlooked because of the time involved. It’s amazing to see such detail being done in such a relatively short amount of time that makes little changes possible. Well done!

6 Likes

I’ve also seen people use un-cooked spaghetti instead of “reeds”.

4 Likes

Don’t think I’d try that down here…weevils. :ant: :confounded:

5 Likes

Did you take any “during” or design pics for your reworked block? Or any tutorials in the pipeline for inlay like this? It is so amazing how professional and artistic this looks and how long have you been using a laser? (few weeks?).

2 Likes

Now you’ve got me curious about the GFUI changes…

(While I’m actually posting and not just clicking hearts, this looks great and sounds relatively simple! Gotta remember to use the dingbats. Thanks, @Jules! )

3 Likes

And there is the subject for your next Glowforge episode…

Maybe also in the video, make a jig for inside the forge to hold down the skewers or bamboo sticks @jules used. Then slice all to same length.

2 Likes

This was my first inlay. (Well, technically the second, since I didn’t like the box design on the first one.) :smile:

The Glowie really does make it that easy. You can pick up on things…fast!

I didn’t do any kerf adjusting. I just had to figure out how to get the engravings deep enough in the cherry - ran a few tests with little circles, then I cut the exact same shapes out of the veneer and stuck them in the engraving holes.

That was the part that took a while, but with a dental pick it goes pretty quickly. (About an hour of time per side of the box, but I get interrupted a lot, so it actually took all evening.)

Once you have your design ready, this kind of inlay is pretty easy…it probably doesn’t even warrant a tutorial.

(If you want to get completely exact with it though, and eliminate the tiny kerf around the edges of the insets, the difficulty level goes up rather a lot.)

I’m hoping my carefully determined settings for this didn’t just get creamed. I’ll have to experiment a little and see. :smile:

Yeah! A simple inlay demo would be a good idea @dan ! :slight_smile:

(Maybe pick a file with fewer bits and bigger pieces to demo though. Or it will be a looooong vid.) :smile:

6 Likes

What do you think about cutting a cap that is slipped over the sticks? You could make the slots the size of your knives.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much what I’m replacing with this. (Hate trying to hit the slots when I’m unloading the dishwasher.) :grin:

4 Likes

Isn’t that counterproductive to the point of this design? Then you need to put the knives in their slots. This is all about being able to stick them in anywhere. I’m trying to figure out why you’d want to take that design and then force the knives in slots.:confused:

4 Likes

That makes sense. I was trying to help with the sticks falling out problem and assumed you used sticks because you didn’t have the tools to carve a block. Sorry 'bout that

The inlay is gorgeous.

2 Likes

Chuckle…it actually got me thinking about how to design one with slots, so no worries. (I might prefer this kind, but other folks might want a more standardized block.) :grin:

2 Likes