Knife Block Reworked

To prevent the sticks from falling out, couldn’t one just put a thick layer of glue at the bottom of the container and shove the sticks in?! That way the sticks are held in from the bottom? Maybe?

2 Likes

While you would hope nobody puts away a knife that is bloody… I would worry about bacteria formation in glue at the bottom. Perhaps without justification.

2 Likes

I happen to have one of the commercially made versions of this design (wedding gift) and that version has the “sticks” made out of a hard rubber/plastic material. All of the sticks are essentially one piece as there is a block of the hard rubber, plastic at the bottom that all the sticks are attached to. That means that it can be taken out and put into the dishwasher to be cleaned.

soooo in order to “replicate” that, perhaps that might be a job for a 3D printer?

1 Like

You’re sure you don’t want to put 1000 tiny holes in a piece of ply and just seat every stick? :wink:

9 Likes

Uhhhhmmmmmm…no. :smile:

3 Likes

Can’t say I blame you. You could always to a piece of acrylic with some little holes that won’t let the stick slip out that presses into the base so it’s hidden I guess. Then if you put a knife away wet there’s somewhere for the water to drain out (though I doubt you’d actually have any that would, the sticks more likely absorb it then evaporate it)

2 Likes

That was actually the thinking behind using the diffuser reeds in it - it’s what they are designed to do.

I’m hoping they will show less bacteria buildup than rubber/silicone does too. It’s a very airy knife block. :smiley:

1 Like

Stickey-wickey-doo-hickey ?

6 Likes