Kumiko Inspired Box

To me boxes have a mystical quality… they are in themselves beautiful, and they contain treasures within. I love making them! Here is a recent one.

Made from red oak craft plywood, with fuchsia acrylic in the lid, and the inside bottom is lined with grey scuba suede.

90 Likes

This is gorgeous!!! The pattern is awesome!

10 Likes

Ohhh, that is a thing of beauty. And I share your fascination with boxes!

9 Likes

Beautiful! I love the red lining. How did you attach it?

12 Likes

That’s gorgeous! Love your hinges too.

12 Likes

Very elegant, and I love the way the pattern shows through the acrylic on the inside.

8 Likes

I’m going to assume this refers to the color of the suede, but never heard of that before. The box is fantastic, and the design on top is spectacular.

13 Likes

I enjoy making boxes too and yours is spectacular. Beautifully designed and well proportioned. The hinges look great too.

11 Likes

Ohhhhh, I love love love this!

11 Likes

That is gorgeous.

8 Likes

This is beautiful!

9 Likes

YO, that is really bad a$$, Love the patterns

5 Likes

Wow, that absolutely pops with the colored acrylic! Most excellent! :smile:

7 Likes

That is absolutely gorgeous

5 Likes

Always nice to see the work of a fellow box fanatic. The wood /acrylic combination really shows well here. I really like the way the color grabs you when the lid is open.

How do you find the wooden hinges hold up?

10 Likes

Thank you so much for all of your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to share them!

@djfb I attached it with wood glue, it is really strong but I’m wondering if it will fail at some point, I had CA glue but I’m terrible at using it, get it everywhere, I will try that if the wood glue fails! Or maybe some epoxy.

@pubultrastar it’s faux suede with an extra layer behind I think, it kind of has a springy feel to it!

@geek2nurse I thought it might bring back wonderful memories of Japan for you!

@shogun I find they are sturdy once in place, possibly because the craft plywood has an mdf core, when I first started using this type of hinges I broke a few trying to attach them, but I found once I started getting an accurate reading for the thickness of the material it really helped the with that and they seem to be okay - I would use metal hinges for high usage though to be on the safe side

13 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

@awebs76 You’ve got a treasure in a treasure, there. Absolutely gorgeous.

6 Likes

It’s stunning. The very small finger joints help to keep the delicacy of the entire box…that top being the ‘star’ of the show.

6 Likes

It’s beautiful!! The hinges are lovely, I’d just sit and look at it all day!

7 Likes

Wow, the Kumiko design by itself is spectacular but the acrylic underneath really makes it pop. Love it!

5 Likes