Kumiko-Style Lantern

Ideally you want to have a point source of very bright light in the center of the design. when that happens you get great shadow/ light patterns, I have made several LED candle based lamps and as the candle is a point source when seen from above it makes terrific shadows on the ceiling but the slight height af the LED candle flame leaves only a blur on the walls. :thinking:

1 Like

You are absolutely correct. A single point source of light will cast beautiful shadows and multiple sources would make the shadows messy.
I guess I was thinking of the case in which there is a translucent sheet behind the pattern as in @tracypaul.warrington 's pic.

Here are some of the (metal) lamps/covers that I saw that were so entrancing. These are all curved so perhaps not possible (or difficult at least) via GF [besides perhaps better to get from Moroccan source/artisan - they could use the funds]
The last big one is doable I’d like to try sometime - at least as an exercise to learn how to do these.

Also thanks for the KaleidoPaint app link (but no thanks for the web version - I wasted a fair bit of time on that :stuck_out_tongue:) - when getting that (Android version) I came across this TileMaker app - which may be similarly useful (I haven’t played with it really):

9 Likes

Difficult perhaps, but possible…

I made many but never had enough call to make it worth the effort so now concentrating on more like this…

6 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of lamps in this style, and even made a few, but this is one of the most stunning in execution and detail. WOW.

4 Likes

Loving your various lamp designs. Look so good.
(I’m partial to the flat version of this one.)

2 Likes

How do you design the box? Use software to draw the patent or use Box.py to make the shape?
Thx,
Quoc

I draw my own patterns. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Funny - I had totally forgotten about this design and pattern. I found a Kindle book on Kindle Unlimited about Kumiko designs and have been working on some things drawn from scratch. Then I saw this today. :smiley: Maybe subconsciously I was remembering how much I loved this and had to make some things of my own with this style. Hahaha

2 Likes

I love almost anything Japanese. Live there for 7+ years. Tokyo is an amazing place. As is the rest of the country. Maybe something like this for a larger one.

4 Likes

Heh. I have two of those stashed in a cabinet in the studio for similar projects. :grinning:

I’ve got two of them in my 2 yard lamp posts. (Now to watch the grammar peeps freak over two and 2 in the same sentence!)

a) I’m not a grammar freak often, and
2) that’s just wrong.

2 Likes

Awsome design. Thank you for posting

Definitely a violation of the APA style guide. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It looks GREAT.

1 Like

I discovered another generator you might be interested in.

https://kumiko-generator.netlify.app/

8 Likes

Oh, cool!

1 Like

This generator is so cool! I am going to have to try this out!!
Thank you for sharing.