Kumiko-Style Lantern

Just playing with it, this could be interesting Inlay…

3 Likes

I realized I need to get my Apple Pencil out…

1 Like

that was done by finger… you might say I fingered it out :rofl:

5 Likes

I like the first one better but only until I need to dust/clean it.

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

2 Likes

…I use Amaziograph on my iPad – it’s a really great app, and I can export the jpeg, then in Illustrator live trace and begin conversion to a vector.

1 Like

Looking at it I will be downloading that too! looking forward to your results :slightly_smiling_face:

Really like the multi-media print. looks great.

1 Like

Beautiful work! It looks like a variation of the traditional ‘sakura’ motif (cherry blossom). I make Japanese ‘andon’ lanterns also; and use the ‘traditional’ and modern kumiko motifs. Here’s a great web site for the most popular kumiko motifs:

https://www.tanihata.co.jp/english/products/list.htm

Here’s another web site with a little of the history of the andon lanterns in Japan:

http://andonsline.com/about-andon/about-andon.html

Have you considered using vellum paper carefully glued to the inside of each panel? It diffuses the light quite nicely. I also use LED flicker lights to put inside them; rather than real tea lights.

2 Likes

The left one (IMG_5457). Looks more ‘retro’.

1 Like

That’s what was bothering me! Pretty much everything from my childhood is “retro” now. I was trying to make it match my memories! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Here’s an example of the asanoha motif on an andon lantern I made. I don’t make a lid, but I do make a bottom to house the LED tea light.

8 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: next is “antique” and then “ancient” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was reading that someone was reading genetic codes of different animals to find “natural” lifespans. Bowhead whales read at several hundred, cats at ten, and Humans at a very surprising 38! The big difference is medicine tech apparently.

2 Likes

How do I get the Bowhead whale health plan? :smiley:

4 Likes

Cold water, krill, and the occasional harpoon for a toothpick…

4 Likes

This is one reference:

Not sure if krill is an arctic species but there is similar.

1 Like

While humans considerably exceed that “DNA-Lifespan” they have not found a Bowhead that has reached theirs but then you think back what life was like for them 200 years ago and there is a clue there as to why that might be.

So beautiful!

I hope to do something like this - was recently reveling in the calming diffuse light from Moroccan lamps that have geometric patterns. Some of these are big lamps too.

Perhaps led strip lights fashioned/stuck around a central glass/acrylic rod or tube might work. These are relatively easy to put together and you could choose how many leds would go in. Downside is that it would have a wire going into it, though other battery options are possible.

3 Likes

Gorgeous!

2 Likes

Fantastic Design. I really need to research Kumiko some more. It’s gorgeous.

2 Likes