Kumiko-Style Lantern

Today’s project - PG plywood, cherry and basswood. I grew up in Japan, so the Kumiko woodworking patterns really appeal to me. :slight_smile:

I’m envisioning either a transparent vertical tube of fairy lights or a fake candle inside of it, but all of those sorts of things are still in a box somewhere, so for now “envisioning” is the best I can do. :wink:

112 Likes

That is pretty! I love the contrast. Just read up on kumiko.

3 Likes

That is beautiful! Such a delicate pattern. I love how you’ve assembled the corners- so clean and sharp!

2 Likes

That is really gorgeous work. Is the whitish material Acrylic? We got some of these that are great, many colors actions and a timer!

Gorgeous! I love that style!

1 Like

That is really beautiful. I have been to Japan a couple of times and there are a lot o really beautiful patterns there. My daughter is going there to study for a semester of college.

2 Likes

Nope, basswood. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reading about Kumiko apparently there is a way of combining individual sticks by interlocking the ends? Have you tried going there or be able to show how to do it?

1 Like

Love this project… looks so delicate and elegant

2 Likes

I’m not that much of a masochist…I’m just reproducing the patterns as laser cutouts. :wink:

7 Likes

Beautiful pattern! That is a nice way to use inlay.

3 Likes

Oh, how lovely! The contrast in materials is just icing on the cake.

3 Likes

Ah Maze Ing! Beautiful piece.

1 Like

Very delicate work.

1 Like

The basswood looks so delicate, nice choice!

You could turn this into a 110v lamp with one of those “antique” led bulbs. :blush:

1 Like

Aaaand, back to Amazon I go. Poor UPS guy. :blush:

Need input: I kept thinking the top looked too…flat, I guess. But I also kind of like the flatness, so I can’t make up my mind. Which version do y’all like better?

13 Likes

i like them both. :smile:

1 Like

Well YOU’RE no help! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Absolutely the one on the right (flat)…

If I made something like this, I’d try one of these, that I bought for base-lit acrylic use:

3 Likes