Kumiko-Style Lantern

Today’s project - PG plywood, cherry and basswood. I grew up in Japan, so the Kumiko woodworking patterns really appeal to me. :slight_smile:

I’m envisioning either a transparent vertical tube of fairy lights or a fake candle inside of it, but all of those sorts of things are still in a box somewhere, so for now “envisioning” is the best I can do. :wink:

91 Likes

That is pretty! I love the contrast. Just read up on kumiko.

3 Likes

That is beautiful! Such a delicate pattern. I love how you’ve assembled the corners- so clean and sharp!

2 Likes

That is really gorgeous work. Is the whitish material Acrylic? We got some of these that are great, many colors actions and a timer!

Gorgeous! I love that style!

1 Like

That is really beautiful. I have been to Japan a couple of times and there are a lot o really beautiful patterns there. My daughter is going there to study for a semester of college.

2 Likes

Nope, basswood. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reading about Kumiko apparently there is a way of combining individual sticks by interlocking the ends? Have you tried going there or be able to show how to do it?

Love this project… looks so delicate and elegant

2 Likes

I’m not that much of a masochist…I’m just reproducing the patterns as laser cutouts. :wink:

6 Likes

Beautiful pattern! That is a nice way to use inlay.

3 Likes

Oh, how lovely! The contrast in materials is just icing on the cake.

3 Likes

Ah Maze Ing! Beautiful piece.

1 Like

Very delicate work.

1 Like

The basswood looks so delicate, nice choice!

You could turn this into a 110v lamp with one of those “antique” led bulbs. :blush:

1 Like

Aaaand, back to Amazon I go. Poor UPS guy. :blush:

Need input: I kept thinking the top looked too…flat, I guess. But I also kind of like the flatness, so I can’t make up my mind. Which version do y’all like better?

13 Likes

i like them both. :smile:

1 Like

Well YOU’RE no help! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Absolutely the one on the right (flat)…

If I made something like this, I’d try one of these, that I bought for base-lit acrylic use:

3 Likes