Laser arm crooked ! Help!

Hey everyone, i’m new here! I got my brand new glowforge pro in the mail and couldn’t wait to start making magic(oops i mean projects!) but clearly there’s something wrong with my printer :scream::triumph::cold_sweat:

The laser arm is crooked and when it moves it makes quite a lot of sound, not normally heard from a printer, sounds like it’s stuck!
The last three photos were taken during calibration and obviously didn’t work, couldn’t upload the video was too long.

Looks like a belt issue, could be the belt is loose on the sides and it’s not pulling the laser tube evenly. I’m not an expert, but support will be along within one business day to help you out and tell you what to check. Some of my fellow regulars may be able to give some advice on what to check, too. Don’t worry! The community has your back and this WILL get sorted out!

3 Likes

I’d say it likely got wonked because the board may have been overlapping the edge of the crumb tray. The material must be seated completely within the margins of the tray or it will mess up the gantry. (A beginner’s mistake that just about everybody has done.)

No worries, just turn it off and gently move the gantry back into place. And make sure your material is not overlapping the edge of the crumb tray.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s it. They are using PG material and it looks like it is in the tray correctly.

1 Like

Yeah, on closer inspection I think you’re right.

2 Likes

The gantry can go out of square for several reasons, it was:

• physically bumped,
  • blocked while moving,
  • loose drive belt,
  • failed drive motor.

If you’ve followed the steps to straighten it and it goes out of square again, first check your drive belt tension on each side. If that checks out, then it’s likely you have a bad drive motor (or control board.)

2 Likes

This ^^^^^
Also it is possible for something to get caught between the belt and drive, that can have that effect. If you turn the machine off and push it back you can use the back of the machine to square it off pushing each end as far as it will go. I have had that happen too.

You seem to be right, the belt on the right side is looser than the left side, i followed the guide for the belts adjustments, which were to unscrew, pull as far back and tighten the screw which was supposed to fix the problem but it didn’t help… could the belt just be too long ?

1 Like

I tightened the belt on the right side but it didn’t go farther back and it’s still loose compared with the left side. When the printer moves the laser arm back this is what happens…

1 Like

Support will have to weigh in, but that doesn’t look like a belt slipping. Something more serious appears to be going on.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble. I see that you’ve reached out to us directly via email, and I’ve followed up with the next best steps there. I’ll close this thread for now.

1 Like