Laser bike & milkshake hacks from Nick!

7 Likes

If only there were solutions to all of these problems!

6 Likes

You sure that’s not a picture of a white cat on her sweater? :smile:

1 Like

As a point of interest, I was recently looking in to that new-fangled UV activated glue that’s doing the rounds on the “As Seen on TV” usual suspects lately, and found that there’s a commercial version that’s used for adhering the LCD display to the inside of the glass on a mobile telephone. The instructions for applying that glue say to cover the whole surface, join the parts, then set the glue with a little UV light emitting torch. In that application I guess the glue has to be very very clear, so I’m guessing that it might also work well in upcoming glowforge projects for joining ‘invisibly’. A search for “UV LCD glue” on aliexpress.com turns up several examples.

6 Likes

We use it around the office for random projects - it’s cool stuff!

6 Likes

Dentistry uses a material for fillings that is applied in individually cured layers, and I was wondering about curing where UV penetration is limited - say mending broken ceramics.
Unless it has the property of transmitting light, like edge lit acrylic, the optimal use is on clear material.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I think some of these materials have UV-initiated curing but still some open time after curing starts.

1 Like

The “Bondic” I have played with is hard in 15 seconds, as long as the materials are clear.
I wouldn’t be surprised if initiated cure continues, perhaps even in concealed area but I haven’t experimented too much with it.

1 Like

This was just cool to watch:

3 Likes

Fascinating. Build-a-tooth.
Soon after we perfect that technology, we will have gained the ability to manipulate genetics to where we can grow new ones.
Epigenetics and DNA methalation. An on and off switch and a volume knob. Whether or not a gene is expressed and the intensity of the expression. Turn on the gene and get a hair, crank up the volume and get a feather - same gene.
You ever notice how an animal hair can be three colors along it’s growth?Just think of the kids being able to designate the color and structure of their hair growth. Make for some interesting Mohawks.
Feathers look painful.

3 Likes

Oh man, the acrylic mixing shield, genius idea. It’s one thing that I’ve longed for since buying my big ol’ beast a few years ago. Definitely going to be an early thing for me.

1 Like