Laser Cut Board Games

I love games pulled from fiction as fully realized games. And those are the PERFECT targets to manufacture your own.

Going to have to read up on Pai Sho. Never even thought to look for that one.

2 Likes

How about a game of Fizzbin?

6 Likes

There has been a LOT of fan tribute to Pai Sho and some GORGEOUS boards and pieces made.

I’m not sure If I want to do mine as a marqueterie or more like a tension puzzle… BUT it’s a long term goal, so no worries I’ll figure it out eventually. :smiley:

1 Like

After thinking about (and seeing) some of the kewl laser renditions of board games (like the monopoly I posted earlier), I started to think how some others would be nice to see if done using a laser(with inlays, engraving, veneers, etc). Think games like Clue™, Sorry™,Mousetrap™!!!, Stratego™, Scrabble™, Risk™-make your own map or neighborhood version. You could make designer or custom racks for Racko™… So many ideas.

6 Likes

My wife has been bugging me to make wooden Racko racks for years. Maybe a laser is the answer.

5 Likes

I have never heard of Rack-O. Had to look it up. Intriguing game. And one that my 3 year old would be able to join us at in short order (not likely win, but at least join). Going to have to make a set indeed.

2 Likes

That’s the nice thing about it - almost no learning curve - as long as you can count in order. You can “try” some sort of strategy, but there really isn’t one (I don’t think). And it’s fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

There would be some element of strategy, at least in the initial phase where you have to decide just how low to place the 15 you drew…

Right… but is that strategy or still just gambling? In theory that’s the fun of the game, sometimes you get several cards consecutively placed in a row, sometimes you need one more card within a 15 card range and you can’t seem to get it. I suppose it’s semantics, but when does strategy and luck/fate/gambling kind of merge? LOL always fun when you abandon your “strategy” because you dont get your card and suddenly that card shows up after you changed tactics. (Are strategy and tactic interchangeable?) . And the more people playing less chance for the card you need. Also, since your points at the end of each round are determined by the cards sequential from the front you could have the 2nd card a 13 with all the rest in order but that first 42 just gave you only 5 ts when someone Rackoed :scream:
Bottom line - jacobturner is correct - by definition there is some strategy, but it still depends on the cards… but it is a fun game with little setup and if you’ve never played it, may want to check it out!

1 Like

Oh, Rack-O! I used to play that as a kid with my grandparents. Great game for kids to play with adults, as it’s easy enough anyone who can count can play it, but there’s enough strategy to keep adults interested for a while too.

2 Likes

The Board Game is Kind of Like a Well I call it “Nice Monopoly”… what makes it fun is instead of cards you get to collect actual little things (real things) as you play. I want to make the things you collect in resin, but they might end up being some kind of filament instead… Yes it’s a real game, as in it is physical. I want to sell it, but the “beta” was entirely made of paper, so cannot really do it until I get the capacity, but making the board should work… Glowforge to the… well it should be able to make the board. :slight_smile: I hope I can sell a few of them… still need to find a way to make the little stars… I’m thinking cut them out of painted… IDK what exactly… or maybe make them out of cut stone? That would be SUPER COOL.

1 Like

This is a comment. I’m actually designing something much more complex… and beautiful… I hope. :slight_smile: Custom Pieces for a “Designer” Chess Set… they’re very unique and I want to print them in wood using a 3D Printer called a Dreamer. (Yes, it can Print in Wood… Awesome, I know) No I’m not selling chess/checker boards, only the pieces. Once I am sure I can make them all I will try to sell them on Etsy… they’re really just cute little models I am designing b/c I think making little wooden Kirins and Tanuki and Daruma is a good project.

3 Likes

Sounds very cool. When you get your GF though, it may behoove you to create a custom board for unique pieces Especially if they are wood, A nice lasered wood board would compliment the pieces ( If I had some nice original chess pieces, I’d like to display them on some sort of nice board, not a generic black and red cardboard piece). Just my 2 cents !! Happy Labor Day weekend to all the US members out there !! Drive safe!

2 Likes

Let’s not forget our Canadian neighbors! Happy Labo(u)r Day to you too! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hey there! I’m excited about this as well. I actually make the best, most comprehensive Pai Sho rules out there - want to play a game with me? There’s a link to join a game with me at https://skudpaisho.wordpress.com/skud-quick-reference/ - let me know if you have any questions at all!

2 Likes

About Pai Sho - I recently launched a way to play online. Want to check it out? https://skudpaisho.wordpress.com/skud-quick-reference/

4 Likes

I’ll probably make a few sets of Tak pieces and various size boards. (I have an official set on order from the Kickstarter, but at this point it’s not clear whether I’ll receive it before or after my Glowforge.)

2 Likes

Also speaking of this - Check out a game called Paiko - inspired by Pai Sho and available for print and play from their website… and, as it so happens, the print and play file looks absolutely perfect for my first Glowforge project :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If we’re going to start looking at Asian board games then I can’t let this thread end without at least mentioning Go (Weiqi or Baduk, all the same, just different names from different countries for the same game. Plan to make some cheap board for my wife’s class room using the laser, probably my first job. Isn’t much of a challenge, just a grid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)

It is the oldest continually played board game in the world (the origins actually go back into pre-history), and the most complex as far as strategy goes - yes the complexity even outstrips chess, and no I’m not slamming chess, I love that game too, yet the rules are so simple I taught the to my son when he was in Kindergarten and he started beating his grandpa at the game. If you’ve never been exposed I recommend taking a close look. In China, Japan and Korea there are professional players who’s earning and celebrity rival our sports icons.

11 Likes

This is actually slated as one of my first projects too!

1 Like