Laser-cut crackers

I’m not sure I’d ever do this, but apparently you can successfully cut dough before baking to make custom crackers.

25 Likes

Man, my homemade Cheese It® style crackers are going to look good in a couple of months!

12 Likes

Have a favorite recipe for them you could share? Sounds like the perfect application.

7 Likes

this is a clever and fun post, but i don’t think i’d do it like this. i would use the laser to make a ridiculous cutter, and use that to make the cracker shapes rather than try and move dough in and out of the laser like that.

once baked, you might also be able to use the laser to etch intricate, non-blackened designs or something into the surface instead.

i can’t say i’m a fan of the recipe they used, but that’s not their fault, i’m just not a fan of unleavened crackers - they don’t have enough give for me (or if not going that route, use butter instead of olive oil to help separate the layers more).

completely aside from my whining, i’m disappointed that laserbiscuit.com doesn’t actually seem to use laser equipment to bake cookies??

9 Likes

I’ll see if I can dig it out.

1 Like

Yes, making cutters seems more practical.

Most people report horrible burnt flavors in food items that have been laser cut. (To the point of being inedible in most cases.) I wonder if laser-cutting the crackers before baking them reduces the off flavors. The linked article doesn’t mention seem to mention flavor at all.

1 Like

probably, but the real issue with that is that people are just using too much power. with some caution you can etch food pretty well, especially if you take advantage of the char (like, it can make sugar tasty if you don’t go too far, etc).

1 Like

Really interesting that nothing is brought up about using a laser for food that has processed other materials that have some nasty residue.

4 Likes

I know I’m being a luddite, but until 3D engrave is ready so you can do a tool that tapers to a line I’d rather 3D print that tool.

1 Like