Laser head fell off

The laser head fell off last week during an engraving job. There were little rubber washers laying on the tray which hold the head on the track so I pushed them back into place and moved the laser head to make sure that it freely moved across the track. The issue is that the laser is no longer cutting through any materials. I have tested with the proof materials and the correct setting and have tested multiple passes at multiple speeds.

Looks like it could be caput :frowning:

It also flashes up a warning that the material was not measured correctly (may be too chort or too tall) but I am using proof grade materials with proof grade settings.

Donā€™t know of any rubber washers. Guessing one or more of the wheels that hold the metal head plate to the track had broken. That is not uncommon. It is uncommon for the plate/head to completely fall off the track. You could look at this link on how to replace the wheels. There are other Support articles that show how to remove the plate and belt. New wheels are only available by coordinating with Support.

2 Likes

The wheels are designed to hold the laser to the track and they just push in place so I am confident that it has been re-assembled and no wheels are broken. It just seems that the laser isnā€™t able to focus correctly.

It sounds like the laser is off vertical, It would not take much as even a few percent of a degree would do it. It is my guess that replacing those two wheels would make an amazing difference.

Also if what broke in the rubber caused the wheels to come off, was not replaced , they would just come off again. :grimacing:

1 Like

Pictures would be helpful.

3 Likes

Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance. Iā€™m sorry o hear that youā€™ve found pieces of damaged V-wheels within your Printerā€™s bed. IN order to take a closer look,

This suggests that you could be having trouble with a wheel on your carriage plate.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Remove the carriage plate from the laser arm
  3. Closely inspect the carriage plate wheels from the top for any cracks or other damage
  4. Closely inspect the sides of the wheels for any cracks or other damage
  5. If you notice anything damaged or out of place, please take a photo and attach it to your reply.

After Iā€™ve received the photos for review, Iā€™ll follow up with the next steps.

Kind regards,

I have fiddled about a bit and although I still get the error message about the material not being measured correctly, I have managed to cut through two proof garde materials (thick acrylic and medium draught board) using the default cutting settings.

Naturally I am wary about rocking the boat with it further but if you look at the wheels on the bottom photo, mine are split in half horizontally (I should add that it looks like they are meant to be like that but on your photo above they look like they are one solid piece.

This was a photo taken after the head had fallen off (Old CDā€™s were just in there to keep the puzzle straight and at the right height.

I COULD be wrong, but it looks to me that the ā€œwashersā€ (blue arrow) are actually the top lip of the wheels (red arrow)ā€¦

6 Likes

Yep, both wheels that can be seen in the picture are broken. That is definitely the problem. Probably the two in the back of the track are broken too. The wheels are V-wheels and are supposed to be one solid piece. Yours have broken in the center. It has happened to a bunch of people. The wheels are non-standard and can not be purchased from any place other than GF. Support will take care of you.

4 Likes

Hi @mindfx. Thanks for getting back us after Gabeā€™s response to help check the carriage plate from your Glowforge. The front wheels will need to be replaced as fellow Community members have mentioned. I went ahead and sent you an email to get your shipping information. Iā€™ll leave this thread open for a couple days to confirm you received my email, and will look forward to hearing back. Thank you!

Hi Brandon, many thanks for the reply. Sadly no email has come through :frowning:

Hi @mindfx. Iā€™m sorry to hear that you havenā€™t received my email yet. To help, can you go ahead and email us at support@glowforge.com and reference Ticket #295566. Once received we can follow up with you to get the replacements ordered. Thanks again!

Hi @mindfx, Iā€™ve just resent the email that my colleague Brandon sent to you. Could you please check and let me know if you receive it? Try checking your spam and junk mail folders if you donā€™t see it in your inbox. Thank you!

Sadly no email landed (not even in the spam folder) so I have emailed support directly and hope for a reply.

Best Wishes Michael

I was able to locate the email you sent in and see that a member of our Customer Success team has replied to you regarding the replacement parts.

I did notice that the email you wrote in from, your @me.com account, is different than what we have on file for you, we have @mindfx.co.uk. I would like to make sure we have the correct email address on file for you. Which is the best email account to use for you going forward? Please donā€™t include your full email address in your reply on this thread since it is public facing.

Hello @mindfx

I just wanted to check in and see about the information my colleague Morgan had requested above.

As it appears your issue has already been resolved via email weā€™ll leave this topic open for a bit longer to clarify the above before we lock this topic.

I see you emailed us about this and weā€™re working on it there, so Iā€™m going to close this topic.

Thank you,