Laser head moving, but not firing

My printer head is moving, but not firing. I find it frustrating that all these support tickets are opened with the same issue and are closed out without an update as to what was done to fix the issue. I followed ALL the steps, cleaned everything, checked all the cables, reset the wifi, moved to a different power outlet, checking power settings (it is not set to 1) and still nothing. I reached out to Glowforge yesterday and again today. I need someone to look at this ASAP. I have a charity event that I’m donating to and have no product to give them.

I’m not from support, but wanted to suggest you double check the power setting. Sometimes it defaults to ‘1’ which will not do anything.

I concur.

1 Like

Appreciate the response, that was one of the first things I checked and all the settings are correct. :frowning: Still waiting to hear back from Glowforge Team.

Hi @nlee. I’m sorry to hear that you’re running into some trouble with the laser not firing during recent prints. I understand you have been trying to troubleshoot this and will be happy to work with you to get this resolved so you can get back up and printing.

When we usually see any issues with the laser failing to fire during print, it can sometimes lead to the need to replace the printer if the laser system is failing. When this is the case we may need to move customers to email to confirm private information for that process.

I saw that you were able to already check that the power settings for the print were not too low for the laser to mark the material, and have some further troubleshooting to help with this.

To start, can you take a photo of the printer head mirror to help me rule that out as any cause? Feel free to use the image below as reference.

Next, I’d like to have you run our Gift of Good Measure test print using the steps in the link below:

https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633374-1-Gift-of-Good-Measure

To ensure that the print data is captured in the log files, please allow the print to complete (even if no laser is firing) until the bed image refreshes in the Glowforge app. I can review the print data in the log files for any further troubleshooting steps.

Let’s start with those requests, and I’ll look forward to your response. Thank you!

Please see attached photos. I’ve also printed the gift of good measure and still nothing. I let it print all the way through.

Also, after the print finished the button has now turned an orange/yellow color.

You might want to remove your phone number. This is a public forum.

1 Like

Thank you… I had no idea. I replied via email and didn’t realize my email would upload to this post.

Why was my ticket closed?

If your corresponding with support via email, they normally close posts made in the forum to keep from duplicate tickets being outstanding. If it’s being handled through email, you still have a valid ticket ongoing.

I’m responding to the email they sent me and for whatever reason it’s updating this post. After asking for an update I received the automated email stating my ticket has been closed. No one from the Glowforge Team is responding to me. I’ve sent the photos and I’ve run the Gift of Good Measure… I haven’t heard a peep since.

This has been one of the most frustrating experiences I’ve had with Glowforge.

This is partly why it’s suggested that we send only an email to support or open a thread here.

Both end up in their support software as separate tickets that get seen by probably different people. They eventually figure out duplicates and close one or the other, 99% the forums thread.

It’s not so bad if you only respond to threads in post and email to email, but in this case, you got the standard forums update email one gets when there is a response and you didn’t know which of the two tickets you were responding too.

You and they are apparently a bit confused but they will get you straightened out. They may not be fast but they are diligent in getting things put right.

1 Like

I don’t see how the confusion lies on my part. I opened a forum ticket and received an email from Brandon at Glowforge. I responded to the email with what he asked of me. That aside, they still have not reached out, which is the real issue here. They may not be fast, but they are diligent is disappointing. I have to let the charity know tomorrow that I will not be able to provide the product that was promised. I am truly bummed for those kids. If I had time on my hands I wouldn’t be nearly as upset as I am with Glowforge. Also, as someone who’s FT is Customer Service, there should be SLA’s in place for support tickets so people, like myself, are not left hanging in the wind. Lack of response causes frustrations. It may not be a priority to them, but it’s a priority to me…their customer.

I can sure understand your frustration and disappointment. They do not normally staff their support on weekends, but since it’s only been one day since they received your photos, I’m sure they are working on trying to help you.

I sincerely apologize for our delayed response to you. I just sent you an email that includes next steps so I am going to go ahead and close this topic.