Laser Head Thingy

Is this little “thingy” that my finger is touching in video suppose to be bent and a tad bit rusty looking? Should I be looking to replace it or the entire head?

No idea, have never examined the print head closely enough to know what you are looking at. I’ve only owned mine for 5+ years, however…

1 Like

Never even seen that before, either…and I’ve also owned mine for over 5 years.

3 Likes

If you are getting a assist fan error when you are trying to print then it will likely be that based on how it currently looks. But if its not bad enough to be causing issues then I would leave it but also start saving up for a replacement. That part is not easy to fix :frowning:

2 Likes

Are you getting an error message? That’s a small ribbon cable, if the machine is working you are fine.

Not getting any errors. Print so far has been fine. I was just curious because I didn’t notice it like that last time I cleaned it.

2 Likes

No errors. Just curious because I didn’t notice it when I cleaned it last time. Thanks

Thanks but no errors. Just mostly not sure if it was suppose to look like that.

1 Like

You are over cleaning it! If those of us who have been working with their machines for all those years have not been looking there then cleaning there is just asking for trouble.

If you are not cutting mostly MDF then the various lenses (and little windows that look like lenses) cleaned with a Zeiss lens wipe, the top of the laser head, and the part of the glass lid you look through (not the cables running across it) are what you need to keep clean. Places like the laser tube itself do not matter either way but “I just cleaned my machine and now it doesn’t work!” is a more common complaint than it should be.

1 Like

I would look, but my approach to sensitive equipment is “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!!” - My optics don’t need cleaning so I won’t be pulling the head off to take a peek. I have only ever unplugged the big ribbon cable once in 5 years, then I realized that is totally unnecessary.

4 Likes

That’s a flexible ribbon cable and they are copper under a greenish/brownish film. I think that’s pretty normal. But don’t touch it too much, they tend to be fragile.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.