Laser Inspired Recipes (Or your favorites)

not that old of a custom I recall it as a kid as my younger siblings got washed as well I’m sure it still happens

2 Likes

We did it with our daughter. If there were dishes, we’d move them to the other sink compartment.

When I went to my grandma’s as a kid, my 4 brothers and I all got a bath in the wash basin out in the yard. I’m talkin’ at age 6 or 8 or something. Not a baby at all. She’d heat some water up on the stove to warm up the hose water. I took my daughter to Fort Nisqually, a local living history museum, and pointed one out to her and told her that story.

4 Likes

This vegetable soup is definitely Glowforge inspired. I haven’t taken the time to cook much in these past weeks since I got the Glowforge. There were a few days that I skipped lunch. So I decided to make a monster pot of vegetable soup since there is a cold snap now and I have Sunday afternoon through Monday evening to work on the Glowforge.

I start with making a beef stock the day before. Roasting soup bones, some odds and ends of short ribs and beef shank, and roasting the vegetables for the stock. Cook down for about five hours on a bare simmer. Strain and reserve the luscious meat so tender at the bone.

Next step is to let the stock sit overnight to let solids settle and tallow to congeal on top to skim off.That left me about 2 gallons of stock.

Then I chop up the fresh vegetables and get a few bags of frozen vegetables. I put a some red beans and some barley (which I cooks separately so as not to soak up stock) in for a little more protein and texture.

Cook the vegetables on a bare simmer for about 45 minutes along with a couple cans of crushed tomatoes.

I cook some small shell pasta and a some red potatoes separately to add to the soup when serving so they don’t get all mushy. This soup should last me a while.

28 Likes

Looks delicious. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Looks great. In a hearty soup like this, give me barley over just a lot of pasta any day.

5 Likes

Healthy Apple Pie That Actually Tastes Great (Very Simple Too):

Even the kids in my extended family prefer to eat this version of apple pie rather than the saucy-filling type.

I buy a pre-made crust, usually the type that comes from the refrigerated section in rolls.

I’m in the US, so all the measurements are imperial. Here is a link to a website with conversion charts.

Heat oven to 350 F, cook time is 55 minutes

Filling
Toss the following ingredients together in a large bowl.

• 5-6 Apples, peeled and sliced (use sweet apples like Fujis. For a twist, trade one apple for a pear, but not more than or the pie will be too wet)

• 1/2 to 3/4 cup raisins for sweetness (you can add more, if you like)

• 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

• 1 teaspoon of cinnamon

• 2 tablespoons of white flour

• 2 tablespoons of water

In a 9-inch pie pan, place one crust on the bottom, load with apple filling, and then place one crust on top.

Poke a few holes in the top crust for ventilation. I suggest an artistic pattern like the Glowforge logo. :upside_down:

12 Likes

I love a good apple pie…especially for breakfast. With a slice of melted cheese.

(Hey, it hits all the major food groups…more or less.) :yum:

3 Likes

Three comments:

–looks delicious!
–is Fancy Feast a secret ingredient? I see it in your first photo!
–an accomplished cook like you seriously needs a stove upgrade.

3 Likes

Oooo, thanks for the recipe–I might try it, I think I have all the stuff on hand!

1 Like

Ah, Pie. My Grandma’s apple pie recipe, which has now been passed down to my daughter, was similarly simple. Can never remember having a birthday cake, always wanted an apple pie. Looking forward to it next week.

Personal preference: A mix of sweet and tart apples. Stay away from apples like Golden Delicious. They are way too watery and you end up with a mushy filling. Might as well have a pop tart.

8 Likes

Finally catching up with this thread. There is a food truck that sells porchetta here. It’s called Penny Packers. It’s amazing! http://pennypackersfinefoods.com/
We bought a whole roast last year for new years eve with the family. They went nuts for it.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s an old school stove. Nevertheless, I can use cast iron on it and my big pressure canner. Ceramic tops are out because of this and I would not have a gas stove unless it is a commercial one. Most home models that I can afford don’t get high enough and since it would have to be converted to propane rather than natural gas so that lowers the BTUs. If I really want high heat for my bigger pots, I use my outdoor propane burner with a high pressure regulator on it. Sounds like a hot air balloon but that’s what you need for a wok. But I really would like a nicer stover for sure. I think the kitchen upgrade will take place next year.

This looks scrumptious!

6 Likes

hahaha, it was suppose to say food.

1 Like

You might consider induction, that’s what I have and am very happy with it (works great with cast iron, pressure canner might not work if a magnet will not stick to the bottom).

1 Like

I’ve got an induction…love it, except for the pressure cooker thing…can’t use one. Not because of the magnetic pot - something about it not being safe for glass tops.

Truly a shame because it’s one of those induction cooktops where the burner shape conforms to the shape of the pot. So you can use any size pot whatsoever, from teacup sized to griddle, and get perfectly even heat application. Pick up a pot, move it around, the burner actually follows it.

(Hi tech even in the kitchen…sheesh! Total nerd.) Chuckle! :relaxed:

12 Likes

Good to know–I don’t have a pressure cooker so I was unaware of the danger.

1 Like

Can’t live without my pressure cooker…
I currenly have a regular old electric…I truly miss having a gas stove…would take that over induction…however would def go for a convection oven…but my pellet grill works in the meantime…lol

4 Likes

We will see how the new stove performs. And hope the insurance company pays for any of it. Maybe next year I can laser some templates or some special cutters for my spouse’s cookies. (There’s one I particularly like that looks like a checkerboard.)

4 Likes

You don’t need a stove upgrade, you need a freezer upgrade. The high here yesterday was -7F. Easiest method ever created for taking fat out of stock is having a walk-in freezer outside your door. Mom made soup yesterday and will be going there for dinner tonight.

6 Likes

I brined a huge turkey one year because I could leave it in the garage overnight and during the day because the weather never got above 34 degrees…
Can’t fit that large of a bucket in my frig so that was the last time… it’s always been too “warm” at Christmas…lol

5 Likes