My laser is no longer working. I’ve been successfully using it all year. The print head runs but the laser does not fire. I attempted to run it once today after a week of not using it, heard a strange click noise and immediately shut it down. I took the laser head apart and saw that the lens was somehow displaced. Everything is cleaned and back in place but it’s till not firing.
You’ll probably need to take some photos of the displaced lens for support to look at. (The lens is supposed to move freely up and down in the print head, but if it is inserted incorrectly it can affect the operation.)
No chance you accidentally put it in upside down?
Is the laser appearing in the laser tube?
No, it’s not
Nope, it’s in correctly
Mine stopped firing also in the middle of a job although I did not hear a clicking I did smell “electrical” burning shut it down returned it back in middle of November still have not heard the status. It was a pro unit and I had been using a lot of proof grade draft board not sure what caused the burnout and not sure if they have gotten a better turnaround for repairs as I am still waiting to hear back.
Thank you for the additional details. I’m sorry you ran into trouble. Please run the following test to help us investigate further:
- Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on
- We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place the Proofgrade Draftboard in the center of the bed and cut (ignore the engrave and score portions) the Gift of Good measure using the default settings.
- Take a video of the print that shows the printer head as well as the laser tube.
- Allow the print to complete. When it does, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates
- If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print and email the video you took to email@example.com
Thank you in advance!
Just emailed the video to support. Video was taken Novmeber 28 and finished at 3:27 CT. Is there anything else I need to do to keep this moving?
We will continue working to get this resolved over email, so I’m going to close this topic.