Laser stopped cutting through :(

hello im in need of some guidance please! I was cutting 1/8 inch Baltic birch plywood 140 speed fullpower like Ive been cutting for months and I had it cutting and when I pulled it out it only cut one letter out of the 10 and the second letter it almost cut through then the rest it just engraved them!! idk what to do now and I been emailed support and I only get one response every 24 hours! I just tried using the proof grade medium basswood plywood and it didn’t cut through as well @dan

Have you cleaned your optics lately?
Are you using set focus?
Any warp in the wood you’re using?

yes I have done all the steps and cleaned lenses and everything still the same.
no warp in the wood at all

Great. Those can all be causes.
I live in the south where the humidity is always high and we’ve had tropical rains for months now. Sometimes, when the humidity is especially high, I have to decrease my speed a bit, like 5-10 points, to get a clean cut-through. Doesn’t happen often that I need it, but it happens.
Other than that, I don’t know what to tell other than maybe support can pull your logs and see if there is anything significant.

Support will probably want to see an example of the Gift of Good Measure on draftboard with proofgrade settings. Chances are they can’t comment on non proofgrade material problems.

I just tried cutting it at 100 speed 2 passes at full power and it almost goes through but ive never at this issue before.

yes that’s the response I got from them so I pulled out the proof grade material and I wont get a response back till maybe tomorrow

just tried the gift of good measures on draftboard and everything came out nice but didn’t cut through:/

Post a picture of the front and the back of the Gift of Good Measure cut you just did. They can tell a lot by looking at it and analyzing it.

How close did it come to cutting through?

out of 0.13 it cut 0.3 deep

Yeah, that’s not even close…and your kerf is too large.

When you put the lens back in after cleaning it, did you put it in correctly? (Bowl shape goes up into the head.)

yes

How does the mirror look? You’ve definitely got something messing up the focus. You might want to take a picture of all of the optical components…there’s a list of them here:

Having those out of the way will save you some time when support checks in.

1 Like

IMG_9702 IMG_9703 IMG_9705 IMG_9706 IMG_9707 IMG_9708 IMG_9709 IMG_9710

Hmmmm. Unfortunately/fortunately, don’t see anything untoward there.

Might be best at this point to just wait until support can check your logs… (I could send you off cleaning the grate behind the exhaust fan, but that shouldn’t impact how deeply it cuts, so they’re going to need to look into it I’m afraid.) Sorry we couldn’t find anything easy.

thank you so much for the help and ill keep yaw posted if I ever get a reply back

I was going to suggest checking that you had installed the lens back in the right way–I had similar results and realized I had put the lens back in upside down (and after 2 years of the routine). But the pics yours does look OK… :thinking: Hope Tech Support finds out something helpful via the logs!

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending that this one be repaired. I see you already emailed us about this, and I’ll be in touch there to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

1 Like