Laser Thursday: 2-tone interlocking-pattern leather watch-band

We had a fun laser Thursday last night-- people were working with wood, leather, acrylic, and I believe Dan might’ve engraved a rock he picked up from the ground after I left. Here’s my new pride-and-joy… I love making projects that even the most skilled hand-artisan would have a hard time with.

This one is two different leather colors with an interlocking pattern.

You can see a happy/proud Glowforge in the background! :slight_smile:

34 Likes

that looks great, @Tony

Love it!! What kind of leather did you use?

Oh my word!!! Thats #amazing Well done!

Well, that’s pretty neat! Did you glue 2 layers of leather together? Or is that what the stitching is for? Or is the “light” part rastered?

Tell us more, tell us more!

6 Likes

look at you, just taunting us! lol
thats awesome. any chance youll share the build steps?

1 Like

“thats awesome. any chance youll share the build steps?”

Yes please @Tony. Very, very nice.

1 Like

Based on the apparent bleeding and smudging, I would suspect that what you’re seeing is a single piece of leather with the pattern engraved into it, then one half colored, perhaps with a marker. The leather is then folded and stitched to create the pocket to hold the strap pin. (Repeated for the other half of the strap, of course.)

1 Like

Might be my old eyes, but I don’t see any bleeding or smudging. Looks like two different leathers cut to fit to me.

@Tony, very nice effect with the interlaced two tone leather, and the slant is a great touch!
Leather back or bonded to fabric?
Thanks for the inspiration!

I was there when @Tony did this (and he’s on the road) so I’ll jump in - it was two pieces of vegetable tanned leather with two different treatments (one with a red color wiped on, one without, both wiped with a sealer) and then glued together. The back is leather, if I remember correctly.

4 Likes

Thanks @dan! I almost didn’t ask, being 4 months after the fact. I’m sure “Laser Thursday” is a high point around the office, nice perk.
Great for employees to have a CEO who encourages creative exploration of the product they make - instead of just making it!

6 Likes