Laser tube appears to be dead

Was using the Glowforge this evening, did one 55 minute engrave and cut session perfectly fine. started the next file, it was a 2.5 hour engrave and cut session… got about 30-45 minutes in and the main exhaust fan turned off which alerted me to sit up and look directly at the machine(was laying down on couch next to it) then the main exhaust fan turned back on and it resumed movement like normal- except this time there was no beam coming out as the head moved back and forth.

I tried a new file, something quicker, and made sure that there wasn’t any “0 power” cuts or engraves…(i never have files set for that anyways) and it gave me an orange button instead of starting. turned the machine off, waited about 30 seconds, turned it back on, set it to run the same 25 minute file- it moved, fans sped up, but no beam. As I stood over it I saw that the red light and a bright white light were coming out of the head. I paused the print and cancelled it at the computer, turned it all off and cleaned all the windows, lense and mirror. The house is kept at 70 degrees with central air, and even today, was probably 75ish for a high. its 61 degrees outside now, at night.

Everything with the mirror, lense, and windows seemed to be perfectly normal. I re-seated the head cable. The machine goes like its going to print, but no beam shows up in the tube and no burning happens to the wood.

For you at glowforge, the file i was trying to cut was “dice box 8poly dungeon face layer with png” and it happened about 40% through the 4th engrave step. I then ran the “commander master” file a few times after during the self troubleshooting phase. As your records would show, I had done the “dice box~*” file last week and several times in months past with no issue.

Is it time to send it back for servicing? (I have a gaming convention the day after tomorrow, my biggest one of the year, and this is just the WORST timing!)

3 Likes

I gotta say: This is one of the most concise recitations of “current state” and “completed troubleshooting steps completed” information in an issue-posting that I’ve read in a long time. You really checked those boxes off nicely.

Really sorry it’s giving you headaches. My fingers are crossed that Support can help without needing to ship it back. Good Luck!

1 Like

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.