Laser won’t fire and tube is empty

My glowforge pro won’t fire. It calibrates and starts project but laser won’t fire. I cleaned the whole machine but noticed the tube is empty. Any ideas ?

Welcome to the forum. Lots of directions you could go. First is to ensure you have settings that work. Load the Gift of Good Measure with the draft Proofgrade and default settings. As to empty tube. It is hard to see any water in it. And if you have the power to 1% which is default for non Proofgrade settings. You might not see anythin.

9 Likes

Hello @juliogustavo! I apologize for our delayed response. I want to walk through a few steps so that we can get you back to printing again soon!

If your Printer Head is moving but you aren’t seeing the laser marking your material, there are two likely causes:

• The mirror in the Printer Head is not installed correctly and may have been damaged.

• The print power has been set to the lowest possible setting.

First, please inspect the mirror in the Printer Head

• Follow these instructions to access the Printer Head mirror.

• If you see damage to the mirror or the plastic handle (for example, if the plastic handle has been melted), please check the interior of the Printer Head for any additional damage. If you don’t see any signs of physical damage inside the Printer Head you can purchase a replacement Printer Head Mirror through the shop. Note: If there is damage to the plastic handle on the mirror, the mirror may be difficult to remove. You can follow the instructions here for removing a mirror that is stuck.

• Once you receive your replacement mirror, please clean both the lens and Printer Head window, by following these cleaning instructions.

• If you find any damage in the Printer Head, please take a photo of the damage and send it to us and we’ll follow up with next steps.

If the mirror looks good, do a test print

• If the mirror is undamaged, please reinstall the mirror.

• Place a sheet of Proofgrade material in the bed of your Glowforge and open the Gift of Good Measure design.

• Before starting the print, please select the default Proofgrade settings. Once the material has been chosen you will see the word, “Cut”, “Score”, or “Engrave” under each step in the design.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the lid image updates.

• If the design prints successfully, it is likely that the power was set too low on the previous print.

• If you still don’t see the laser marking the material, please reply to this email including the date and time (with time zone) when your test print was run.

Let us know how it goes!

Still not working is there any way to do remote diagnostic? I purchased and installed all new lenses

Sent from my iPhone

Hello Julio,

I am sorry you are still experiencing issues.
The Gift of Good Measure print is used as our remote diagnostic. How it works is you run the print following the instructions and then I will pull the logs for the print. I will also review the pictures to see if the pictures look as they should or not, as I know exactly how the Gift of Good Measure print should look on proofgrade material with proofgrade settings.

I have included the instructions again for this as well as some additional questions to help diagnose what might be causing the issue.

Also, I would like to review the pictures of the mirror to check and make sure there isn’t an error that you might not recognize.

1. Follow these instructions to access the printer head mirror.

2. Please take a picture and provide it.

Next, please run a test print for me.
  1. Place a sheet of Proofgrade material in the bed of your Glowforge and open the Gift of Good Measure design.

2. Before starting the print, please select the default Proofgrade settings. Once the material has been chosen you will see the word, “Cut”, “Score”, or “Engrave” under each step in the design.

3. Once you are ready, push the button and start the print. While the print is running please note the following:

1. Is the laser marking the material as expected?

2. Is the printer head moving during the print?

3. Are you seeing a light in the laser tube during the print?

4. Are you hearing any unusual noises from the left side of the printer?

4. As the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the lid image updates on screen in the App.

5. If the laser appeared and the print was successful, the likely issue was the setting on the previous print was set too low for the laser to appear. Please check your settings and try another print. If the laser did not appear, please move to step 6.

6. Take a close look at the laser tube. If you see any of the issues on the list below, please include a photo of what you find in your reply.

1. Do you see any damage to the inner glass tubes, such as a crack or loose pieces of glass?

2. Is the coolant in the laser tube foamy or containing a large amount of bubbles?

3. Do you notice any liquid in or around the printer?

Thank you for your patience while we work through these troubleshooting steps. I look forward to getting this issue resolved for you.

Best Regards,

This is happening to me as well. I tried reaching out to glowforge with no response

Video.mov (3.55 MB)

Hello @juliogustavo, Thank you for providing this video!
I was able to get most of the information I need from that video.

However, I still would like to review the pictures of the mirror to check and make sure there isn’t an error that you might not recognize.

1. Follow these instructions to access the printer head mirror.

2. Please take a picture and provide it.

Lastly, I could not tell from the video but do you notice any liquid in or around the Glowforge?

Thank you for your patience while we troubleshoot this issue. Once I have these answers I can determine the best next steps.

Thank you!

Here you go.

Also there is no liquid around the glowforge

Hello @juliogustavo, Thank you for the photos and for confirming there is no liquid.
After reviewing everything, it unfortunately looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.