Laser your fingernail

Please don’t try this. Ever. But this guy did to drain fluid from underneath his nail.

Warning: Blood

8 Likes

Noooooo. Nope. :confounded:
(Of course it’s a lot quicker than having a doctor drill through it to drain it I guess.)

2 Likes

Now why did I actually go and see this? The horror of it. Must be October.

2 Likes

Nope. I have relieved the pressure by drilling the nail with an Exacto knife and a #11 blade. The pain stops instantly.

10 Likes

Yeah. I wouldn’t use my laser as the beam will still penetrate deeper than the surface, once it breaks thru. That may or may not be an issue, but a dremel with a pin drill in a press has worked for me. No pain from the process, instant relief (and not too much blood splatter as it breaks thru!)

8 Likes

Ouch.

2 Likes

Link’s gonna stay blue. Such overkill though. White hot paperclip always did the trick for me. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I’m not going to look, but what brand of laser cutter lets you engage the power without safety protocols…like the lid down, or something. Did he put his hand into the passthrough slot? Egad!

I’ve hit my fingernail when sewing, by accident because I was STUPID, not because I planned on it. This thing is an exponential level of STUPID.

3 Likes

heat up a paper clip. melts right through the nail.

that’s how the doc did my smashed thumb decades ago.

and BOY did it feel better after the fountain. LOL

6 Likes

Shudder… you had to remind me. I managed to run the needle completely thru a finger while sewing once! It was my right hand as well, so had to reach over with my left to reach the wheel to back it out, pulling the thread back through…

4 Likes

Wow, you went further than I did. You’d think that with the presser foot down your finger cannot be harmed! So much for that bright idea.

1 Like

It was up. I don’t remember exactly what I was doing but it had to be up for it.

I had blocked that memory, until you said it! :joy:

It actually didn’t hurt that much. I’ve stepped on a nail doing construction that went straight through. Stepped on a rusty nail on a shipwreck in Bermuda that did the same thing. Now THOSE hurt!

4 Likes

Yikes I would never use a laser like that. I have used a twist drill and just spun it with my fingers until it went through the nail. That was easy and painless.

3 Likes

What are the settings?

8 Likes

You know we can’t discuss those except in the BTM section! :rofl:

9 Likes

So how did he dial in the settings? Which one of the many settings files did he use?

No. Just no. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Not watching the video, just reading through the comments has me feeling weak in the knees…

5 Likes

I thought it was pretty cool actually and really effective. I’ll stick with the heated pin or paperclip method because I’d hate to get the setting wrong, but I bet the laser makes a nice, clean hole.

6 Likes

I think I’d start at full zooms/7 pews. Maybe set up a long score line off to the side with another pass of the finger dot at the end. That way you’d have time to move your finger if the first one worked. :thinking: (Of course, this is all in theory and I’d never advocate lasering your bloody fingernail.)

3 Likes

Someone pointed out in the comments that once the laser hits the pool of liquid it’s not going to go far anyway, so overall pretty safe.

Funny that the laser has a :glowforge: style crumbtray, but a completely different head. I’m guessing it’s make-your-own. Though it’s possible that the layout of the crumbtray is somewhat “standard”.

Now I’m tempted to grab some nail clippings and dial in settings :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes