Well, that is epic. Can’t even imagine the time it took to figure this one out and assemble. Glad to know we’re still doing geometric shapes and polyhedrals. I have one in the works that I was going to post, but this is the Mack Daddy of 3D shapes so far. #favorite
Once you get dialed in, it’s not too bad. I use Sketchup to design the shape and export the faces as SVGs, total time to design was maybe 1.5 hours, because I was just eyeballing it as I went to see what looked good to me. I was rusty and did make one mistake that cost me some time – had to redesign/ re-cut one piece, the slot was in the wrong place. Rookie move.
As for assembly, there are 4 different face pieces with 5 different connector pieces. It’s pretty easy to get an assembly line kind of thing going, and it goes together fairly quickly, maybe 2 hours of build time. The bigger issue is that I make my pieces fit fairly tightly, so now my thumb and index fingers are sore. If I scaled it up and used larger parts this would be improved.
240 faces (250 cut to account for failed cuts or breakage during assembly)
360 connectors (396 cut)
2.5 full sheets of baltic birch
I use my typical painters tape trick to remove the masking from the parts, so that was very easy as far as these things go.
As to that, it’s actually fewer pieces than the geometric beast, which came in at 900 pieces I think.
Funny, reading that, 2.5 hours of weeding… this was before I figured out what I call the “painter’s tape sandwich” method. With tape, weeding would take 15 mins tops.
I’m so lost in these shape design and want to make some (that dont require a 3D printed piece too), however time is currently devoted to other small projects. The third photo makes me want to do a similar design and use some Orafol 352 chrome to wrap the shapes.
Spray paint after assembly might be a good option too. The tricky part is that you really want the parts to fit tightly. If you have them a little too loose, they will come apart on you as you assemble. You could counter that by using glue, I suppose, but the model isn’t terribly strong until you complete sections, at which point it becomes self-reinforcing. Part of this comes down to the fact that I didn’t go with base triangular structures (triangles are pretty strong when assembled), part comes down to size and mass of parts.
Anyway, I digress. Because you want it tight, getting the fit correct with foil wraps might prove difficult. You might find the foil buckling as you attempt to assemble the tight slots. If you do it, definitely post pictures, I’d love to see it.
Yeah and when 352 buckles it buckles good! The sign shop I worked at was able to snag a regional deal with a $5 foot long sandwich shop to produce their hours of operations door signs and we would use 352 for the logo. Wrong blade, dull blade, bad squeege job, or misplaced transfer tape and that was all she wrote for that decal.